1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did everyone hint at you being gay before you realized it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by whatsgoinon, Jul 14, 2013.

1. whatsgoinon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Did most people hint at you being gay right when you realized it and they told you through subtle hints they already knew?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not most people, but those who knew me between and around the ages of 11 and 16 did catch some hints, but they were never subtle about it...either in a joking or insulting way.

I thoroughly dismissed these "hints"...

3. srslywtf

Nobody else did, but I look back at my own actions / thoughts / etc now and I really should have noticed sooner than I did :lol:

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

People asked me if I was gay all the damn time in junior high. They said my voice sounded gay. I still don't, to this day, do not know what they meant by that. I guess I grew out of it because nobody ever asked me after my freshmen year. :confused:

5. whatsgoinon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So is it too late to be straight?

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

What exactly are you asking about, OP?

7. AaronMed

This sentence is problematic because it assumes that there's some point where you have to "decide" whether to be straight or gay. It is what it is, and being gay isn't a choice, you either are or you aren't. The only choice in the matter is whether you choose to accept it or whether you try to reject it and torture yourself by trying to pretend you're someone you're not.

8. whatsgoinon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    But I'm attracted to girls I just realized how true straight people were

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

I'm a guy

9. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Yes people made it clear alright through intense bullying at school even thought I knew something was different about myself but didn't realise it was because I was gay.
    These weren't subtle hints as well they were full blown attacks and it go to the point that most of the school it seemed were bullying me

10. Lunarchy

For me, it was a resounding yes, but it was because I was obvious... I had a huge poster of two girls kissing in my room for goodness sake, how much more obvious could you get? but in your case, don't be pressured to be gay. You might not be, you might just be you! Being gay has nothing to do with how you dress, or how you act, but who you like deep down, so don't listen to anyone else but yourself, you will find out the truth at your own pace ^)^

11. thesharkamander

One guy asked if I liked boys or girls when we were in fourth or fifth grade.
    Much more recently, after I already knew I was bi but was still in the closet, my older brother was telling me about how awesome making out was (I didn't ask, he just started talking) and that I should find a guy or girl in my class that I liked and just make out with them.
    And then he also started giving me tips for high school a different day and one was "Don't be afraid to get a boyfriend/girlfriend."
    So yeah.
    And when I came out, he said "I so called it." :grin:

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got called gay more than once growing up. But...it's hard to say whether it was because:
    A. The boy somehow knew I was gay.
    B. Gay was a standard boy insult
    C. The boy could tell I was not "normal" or like the other boys (limited social skills, plus, as time went on, an obvious unusual dislike of the sports most boys liked) and automatically slapped the "gay" label on.

13. HeyAshley

after a 4-year relationship ended, i just stopped dating for a while. i didn't even want to look at another man, i was just sick to my stomach. i developed a liking for girls but in my mind, i wanted to make sure it wasn't just a phase before i came out to anyone.

when i was in my relationship (this is probably TMI) but we had sex all the time. and my friends knew that. so naturally when i was single and i wasn't pursuing anyone or having sex with anyone, they would always be like: "so where's your girlfriend?" just because i had that reputation of being pretty sexually active. (not in a whore kind of way, i was in a relationship.) it kind of freaked me out because i figured maybe they knew but when i came out they were kinda shocked, so i don't think they had any idea really.

14. Adarya

Well, my mother had guessed that I was a lesbian before I came out to her. She's the only one that I think actually knew before I told her because she wasn't shocked or anything. Still, I don't think anyone- not even my mother- knew I was gay before I did.

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Odd person, not many :slight_smile:

16. enigmeow

my mother was incredibly relieved when I finally came out to her. She had assumed I was gay since junior high but refused to introduce her to any of my BF's. Sadly, I was in college before I finally figured out why I had no girl friends..

I wish she had said something sooner.. :slight_smile:

17. justjade

Well... Not about being gay but me being....different. I used to get asked questions by my family like, "Why do you want to look like a boy," "Why do you keep getting your hair cut so short," and "Don't you have any friends who are girls?" It was pretty annoying. In fact, it still is. I still haven't come out about my ambiguous gender identity yet.

18. tryhtwfr

One of my friends who has a gay dad always says to me : "I can't wait for the day you come out" and stuff like "you're my gay bestie and whatnot" - she has a pretty good gaydar but I kinda go silent or quiet when she says this stuff so I know she knows but I'm just not ready to come out

19. josh9623

one of my sisters has always asked me the typical do you have a girlfriend? to which I said no, and was then asked if I had a boyfriend. I usually had like a mini flip-out but I think she knows. I still haven't come out to her yet.

20. Fifty Ways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Got called gay as a generic insult to be thrown at the scrawny and different. :/

Never took it seriously and was annoyed when it became clear that these people were right.