1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents don't understand my ocd

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FierceGuy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. FierceGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone, Ive never posted on here before but i really need some advice so i figured id give it a shot.
    Ive had ocd for as long as i can remember but got diagnosed pretty recently because my parents were fed up with me, i have a fear of contamination and germs so im constantly cleaning and washing my hands, I also feel that my brother is "dirty" and cannot be cleaned (as silly as that sounds). My parents treat me like im crazy and think im doing it all for attention and tell me to get over it ! For example il be washing my hands and my dad will watch me or if he hears me spraying a cleaner he'll question me about it or theyll ask me to move/pickup something up that i find dirty and will tell me that if i dont do it there driving me down to the hospital,and whenever i do improve or stop doing a ritual they dont focus on the fact that im improving they focus on the fact that i still cant do other things. I just feel like they dont understand or respect me and treat my illness as a joke, i was planning on running away but i really dont think that will help anything but i dont know what else to do :icon_sad:

2. Ticklish Fish

You sounds more like germophobic than OCD....

just don't overdo it because your body needs some microbes to boost immune system

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

Since it's clear you have a diagnosis from a mental health professional, I wouldn't worry about a random person telling you what your diagnosis should be, and clearly, telling you to not overdo it isn't terribly helpful, because obviously you'd stop if you could. :slight_smile:

So let's try and give you some useful advice.

The issue here is that your parents apparently don't understand the nature and severity of your issue, and, unfortunately, that's not uncommon among parents (or, for that matter, anyone) who aren't familiar with mental health issues.

Are you under active treatment with a therapist or psychiatrist for your OCD? If so, the simplest solution might be to have your treating professional speak in person with your parents, address their concerns and answer their questions.

Also, you don't say how old you are, but i'm guessing you are still in school. If so, it might also be sensible to speak with your school guidance counselor or social worker and explain the issue to them, and ask if they would arrange a conference with you and your parents.

I think that if your parents understand that this is a legitimate medical diagnosis, that you don't want to have it, or be doing these things, any more than they do, and that their constant belittling of you and the strides you're making actually makes the situation worse, not better, that will hopefully help them understand. You might also see if your mental health professional has any brochures on OCD or can recommend a book for family members of someone with OCD.

I think once you have someone explain to them that it isn't an attention-seeking device, and really isn't within your conscious control, they'll become a lot more understanding.

4. FierceGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ive been seing a social forkwer for like 4 months, and i did get her to explain it all to my parents and they seemed to understand it and were ok for the first month or so but now it seems like there getting tired of dealing with me. I have talked to the school (grade 11 next year, turning 16 in september) and they were ok with it

5. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I used to suffer from OCD badly the checking type and it does literally take over your life, I went to a support group and talking about it with other people in the same situation really helped me.
    Lots of people still don't understand someone with this cruel illness and think you are just being silly, and tell you to get a grip and stop checking or washing as much.
    If it was that easy then fantastic but there isn't a quick fix cure, only with support and understanding and in time it will become easier.
    Don't feel bad about it after all it's an illness just like anybody gets one and things will improve.
    Try and go to a group it helped me, and support is always at hand here on EC.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it might be worthwhile discussing again with your school guidance counselor and social worker about what you're experiencing at home. Be as objective and honest with them about your behaviors, and how your parents are reacting.

It is possible that the objective truth is somewhere between what you are perceiving and what your parents are perceiving (meaning, it is possible that, while you do have OCD, you may also be exhibiting some attention-seeking behaviors not associated with the OCD.) Your social worker or guidance counselor should be able, if you are completely honest and objective with them, to help you see if/how youre behaviors might be influencing your parents' beliefs, and perhaps another meeting between you, your parents, and your social worker will help to bring all of their concerns and yours out into the open where they can be properly resolved.