1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents that say: "You have to be ..." or "You must be ..."

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lazyfire, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all started with:

"So, what do you want to be when you grow up?" Mom asks.
    "A writer! I want to be rich and famous like Usami Akihiko (<~ He's not real)!" 10th grade me.
    (Mom tells most of the people she knows).
    They all say discourage me; they all pressure me more. My parents say that I should make my own decisions but they aren't letting me make the biggest decision of my life: What I want to be for the rest of my life.

Sibling betrayal(?):
    "I didn't tell him how I really thought because ... let's face it. I'm not his mother. I have no right to tell him to do this or that. That's your job". Sister tells mother one day when I'm not around. (She was supportive in front of me though. But, I heard from my mother and instantly starting crying. She manipulated me. My own sister D:slight_smile:. This didn't seem right but I don't know what to feel exactly.

~About 4 months later~

Mom says, "You have to be involved in the science field".
    Those words (You have to be) struck me so hard.
    Recalling from what my friend said a while ago, "I hate when parents do that. I can be a hobo. I can be anything I want".

I responded with, "Mom. I can be a hobo. I don't have to be anything that you're forcing me to be!".

She yells and is absolutely confused by what term I'd used. "So, you want to be a gay boy living in your dreams?!". She yells so loud I almost feel enraged at this point.

"When did I ever say I wanted to be a gay boy? (I'm thinking: I didn't choose to be a gay boy. I've always been!). Oh. You thought I said 'homo'? I didn't! Hobo means homeless person, Mom!".

She looks to the ground and smirks a bit.
    Then, I tell her: "I didn't even know what I wanted to be! Everyone just kept asking me and I said that so you guys wouldn't worry!".

Turns out, she worried more than I could ever imagine. I believe that is the case because she never stopped for one day and said, "Lets just leave him be". She always pestered me about not wanting to be a science major.

But, the moment she yelled about me being a gay boy, I knew I wouldn't ever trust her.

I'm never going to return to this family ever. They expect me to pay them when I'm older?
    Like I'll ever care.

I hate them all.

And, after all that, I still feel guilty. What the hell is wrong with me?

#1 lazyfire, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. AKTodd

A lifetime of social and cultural conditioning that says we are supposed to revere our parents because they didn't remember/didn't want/were too drunk to use birth control one night.

My mother made a point of raising me to believe that respect (let alone reverence) is earned, not owed. She also raised me quite explicitly and intentionally to do what I want to do without worrying about whether or not others, including my parents (perhaps especially my parents) approve.

Your options would seem to be to either keep fighting with your family, which seems most likely to just stress you out or to go fairly quiet and non-committal on the issue. Say you'll think about it and leave it at that. Plan on paying for your own college and start figuring out ways to do that now (I worked part time all thru college and did the student loan thing. You could also do scholarships or grants or various other things if you're grades are good or for other reasons). When the time comes to go to school, you take care of it yourself and you're a legal adult so your family has no say in anything you do. You leave and they cease to be your problem.

Assuming you want that when the time comes of course. What you're feeling now may be totally justified or you may just be very angry and hurt right now. Wait to calm down a bit and then give it a good think. Then think about it some more. If you conclude that you need to cut your family out of your life, or at least place yourself outside of any control on their part, then that is certainly doable. But it isn't a decision to be made lightly or in the heat of the moment.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. Mortimer

Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a quote I like

"I feel like I am living someone's master plan. I'm living to die."

4. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I felt traumatized that my mom behaved the way that she did.
    I kept thinking: What if that was my coming out to her?

She reacted so ignorantly! I still don't feel very happy around my parents and I certainly won't love them the way they want me to. And, the main problem with being in a family in the middle class is that venturing towards dreams will have me end up in their situation (now). I won't be any richer than them which is why they worry so much.

I certainly don't care to have as much money as they would have loved to but I understand what they are trying to say, it is just irritating to hear everyday. The most annoying thing is when she tells people who don't need to know, like a tutor or a teacher.

Honestly, the whole conversation with my mom was just heated and boiled over.

I just feel really guilty for standing up to them like that. Makes me feel like a ... brat.

5. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friend said something like this:

"Why are we born? We were taught to fulfill our needs and desires from a younger age.
    So, what's the point of living if we can't do something we like?
    Giving up on what we love isn't that easy as just saying it"

Which motivated me more. But, I held back a bit.

6. Amerigo

it's awful when you're given specific criteria as to whom and who not you are to marry :frowning2: