1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A homophobic pal I'd like to keep. A bit of a rant.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Batman, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. Today I got together with a friend of mine, and not having seen her for quite a while, we talked for a couple hours straight. In the months that I haven't seen her, I've definitely gotten more and more comfortable with my sexuality (thanks to you guys) and even though I always knew she was homophobic, today it just seemed more prominent. Today the Ew's pissed me off more than usual. It's not like they were aimed at me, as I'm buried under coats and jackets in the closet, but it was just irritating. All the "unnatural freaks" and every single "yuck" just made me angrier, until I was a big ball of fury. I wanted to yell at her, but all I could do was just shrug and chuckle. I couldn't even stick up for us. I might as well have just agreed with her for all the good my responses did. THAT'S SO GODDAMN INFURIATING. :bang:

I do genuinely like this friend, and she's proven herself to be useful to have around. She has her golden moments and I'm not going to break connections with her or anything, I just hate feeling like this.

Have you ever been in a situation like that? How did you go about dealing with it?

2. Abbra

I know this isn't the answer you want, and I apologize. But I dealt with my homophobic friend by coming out to them. They were then forced to pick between their ideals and their friend and really review their beliefs. They ended up picking me.

I'm assuming you aren't ready to come out yet, which is fine. The best advice I can give you is to not be afraid to argue with her a bit. Hell, you don't even have to argue. When she says something nasty, don't respond or react. If you react, you are giving her more reasons to say those things. Just be quiet until you are comfortable enough to challenge her ideas.