1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of being abstaining from sex for a while

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Sex is destroying me currently , I am addicted to it I let anyone sleep with me. I am considering abstaining from it for a few months and see how I do, maybe abstain for life.

I will have to deal with my boyfriend, I think he loves me, but if he leaves me then obviously I will understand no hard feelings.

I just don't think that I am emotionally developed enough to be this open and gay, my therapist thinks I have the emotional development of a teenager since I spent years repressing every feeling I ever had towards someone else

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe abstaining is going too far. You have to ask yourself what you hope to achieve by abstaining. What are the goals? I think there are very few goals that are actually achieved by something like this.

Plus: if you have the ability to abstain, then why can you not limit sex and control it to appropriate people and times?

What does your therapist think of the abstaining idea? I'd be surprised if he was advising it.

3. AKTodd

If you absolutely, positively think that abstaining for a time will have some sort of positive effect, then I suppose you could try it. However, I have to agree with TwoMethod: If you have sufficient control to abstain from sex entirely, why not exercise sufficient control to only have sex with your boyfriend or otherwise control it to a more appropriate level?

And, what does your therapist think about this?

Not trying to be negative, but I'm almost getting the sense that you are trying to punish yourself or something rather than actually solve your issues. In other words, the desire to abstain sounds like just another symptom of your depression rather than a way of curing it.

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go so far as to schedule it or something. Like, you can only have sex on Saturday or something like that. Quitting cold-turkey might be a bit too extreme unless you have people helping to keep you abstinent. That way you could still sate your appetite but keep it from getting out of control.

Just a thought.