1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I approach this situation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by eacxx, Jul 16, 2013.

1. eacxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay. I won't have to worry about this for another year but it has been on my mind a ton lately, so here it goes.

I currently live with my mom, her boyfriend, and their two kids. I absolutely love them all but I have serious goals that I have for my life, and we live in a very rural and poor area so our education in my town isn't that great at all. Well I shouldn't say it's not good because we are the best in the county but we have a lack of diversity, extracurricular activities, and classes. Last year before I started my freshman year of high school it was talked about between me, my mom, and my aunt that maybe I could go live with them in Massachusetts for the school year and go to school there in a more relaxed environment. My overalls average this year was only an 85 and I want to step that up at least ten points if I'm going to have a good shot at the college I've in love with. It's so hard to do where I am now because due to the age gap between me and my siblings it just causes issues when their constantly playing and fighting that I can't do my work at home and I don't have enough time to do it in school. So I then thought of another idea.

What if I asked if I could stay with my grandmother for school? She only lives half an hour away and while she isn't directly in the village that the school is located it would still be a lot better than my current school due to the fact it's a wealthier area and there are a ton of sports, activities, and other classes. I brought up to my grandma a few days ago about maybe I should do that, in a joking manner, and she said "well the only problem with this school would be that it's like if you don't live in the actual village than you're not really treated the same." Which I get because its a very popular and wealthy town but that doesn't matter to me, I'm very outgoing and tend to get along with a lot of people regardless of who they are.

I'm just so stuck on wanting to do this because I feel like living with my grandma for my final two years would be amazing. My mom had me at a young age, where my grandma could even be my mother, and it's not like there's anyone else besides my grandfather living here that I would get the space and serenity that I'd need to focus on my school work. I'd also get the chance at new friends and meeting new people since I've had nothing but years of being bullied where I am now because I'm not like everyone else at all.

Does anyone know how I could bring this up to my mom? I feel like my grandma would be fine with it because I'm very helpful when I stay at her house and her dogs love me. Of course I'd go home to see my mom on weekends and during school breaks because I wouldn't want her to miss me. I know she would considering how much opposition she had to the idea of staying with my aunt at first. Thank you if you read it all and understand my predicament.:confused:

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard to give advice like this without knowing the exact parameters and particulars of your relationship with your mom and such, but I think it would probably be a great idea to bring it up with your grandmother and ask if she could perhaps broach the topic with your mom as if you had expressed interest in living with her in a conversation.

It would have to be done in such a way so as to sound like you didn't directly bring it up, but that it came up in passing or something. This, of course, all depends on how good your grandmother is at this kind of thing.

Your grandmother would have to be slightly forceful in explaining to your mother how it could be much better for you, given your university goals and stuff. Given that your mom undoubtably really cares about you, she'll probably feel that she has to bring it up with you, and you can take it from there.