1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8yr old brother asks if im a lesbian!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by blue123, Jul 17, 2013.

1. blue123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi :icon_bigg

Yesterday I was looking after my little brother who is 8, my other brother who is 14 came in with his mate and a girl. when they left, me and my little brother looked out the Window as they crossed the road. I then mention how pretty the girl was and my brother turns round and says "are you a lesbian?" I paused for a second then said "nope".

In a way I was happy he asked me that, its like he knows me better then anybody he must be picking up signs that im a lesbian as a lot of straight girls mention how pretty a girl might look and when i was going through the denial stage he would say things like "you love that girl dont you?" Or "you fancy her". My question is when I come out to my mum and a few others do I tell my little brother too?

I know hes only 8 but we are very close and I would like to tell him but is he too young to know? should I wait till hes older? I guess that would be the right thing to do but I would be lying to him if he asks again if I am a lesbian :confused:

2. LD579

There's nothing wrong with telling him. Ideally you'd tell him when you don't mind your other immediate family members knowing, too, though, 'cause he may just blurt it out randomly, you know?

He's not too young to know that his older sister likes girls. It's not a big deal at all, believe me =)

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree with Luthan, there's nothing wrong with telling your 8 year old brother that you're a lesbian.

4. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The fact that he even knows what a lesbian is means it's ok for you to tell him.

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Next time you could ask WHY he is asking first. Or any time you can ask him why he asked.
    It might be because other people are bullying him about it, or suggest it to him, you know. And maybe he needs support or answers. Maybe he doesn´t know what it means and made up something for himself to make sense of what people whisper.
    And depending on what he says you can talk about it a bit more or just say that according to that, you must be.
    Or just say you are. And ask him what he thinks about that.
    It´s about him and what it means to the two of you as siblings. Take that in consideration.

6. Deb

Deb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing wrong with telling him. Little kids can handle a lot more than we give them credit for, TBH I don't think there is a too young of an age to tell someone.

7. BiPenguin

Gay or not, noticing a person of the same gender as attractive does not equate homosexuality.

8. Lunarchy

Well, obviously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: What does being 8 have to do with telling him that your a lesbian? I mean, it's not a sex thing, despite what the homophobes would have you believe! What about kids who have lesbian/gay parents? They know about it from birth! ^)^