1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with boyfriends family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Robert, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can be a very introverted person. If it was up to me, I would never meet up with anyone ever.

My boyfriend wants me and him to spend more time with his family, together. He also wants me to be happy about this.

I dont want to and I cant be happy about it.

This upsets him.

What can I do?

Please help.

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. AKTodd

Being in a relationship (or having any sort of social life at all) means that from time to time you are going to have to interact with others. You don't have to do it a lot, nor do you have to be the life of the party, but you are going to have to do it.

I'm pretty introverted myself, so I can understand not wanting to be around others a lot. But I'm having a harder time understanding why you feel so negative about being around your bfs family. Can you provide some more context, pls?

How much time do you spend with them now? How much more time does he want to spend with them? Is there something specific about them that bugs you or is it just the fact that they are other human beings enough all by itself?

Todd

4. BooksJeansTea

Sometimes you just have to dig deep and look for positives in people, even if they make you uncomfortable. When you really care, you have to make sacrifices and it sounds like you understand that part but you're just having difficulty getting happy about it. Ask for funny stories about them and think about those when you go. That will also give you something to talk about that might make you smile and make your boyfriend happy.

5. Amerigo

they might end up being your in-laws! think of it that way. be yourself, be comfortable, don't change yourself!