1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, other family members don't know...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CookiezNGames, Jul 19, 2013.

1. CookiezNGames

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Last year, I told my dad (told him first, since he's gay, I thought it would be easier to tell him, he'd understand more, etc.), my mom and her boyfriend that I was bisexual. I was always planning on telling other family members but it's hard to know where to start. I was planning on telling my grandfather before he died and I immediately regretted not telling him sooner, and so I don't want to take my chances and wait until the last second to tell anyone else. Is there any advice or words of wisdom to make this seem...a bit easier to do? It's harder to tell other family members because I'm not as close to them as I am with my parents.

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously, if any of your family members are quite old or have terminal illnesses, and you feel you may regret not telling them, then you should definitely figure out a way to tell them.

Other than that — I don't think it's necessary to go around telling everyone, especially since you admit you are not as close to them as your parents. Being bisexual really is just one part of you, and I'm not sure you have to go around telling all your family about something that shouldn't define you totally as a person. Even then, have you thought about asking your parents to spread the word a bit for you? I don't think you have to be the one to do it.

Either way, if at some point, I get a long-term boyfriend or something, I will just bring him to a family occasion and field the questions then. For me, specifically seeking out people and telling them is too much and unnecessary.