1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Long Distance Relationships work?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Englishlad, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Englishlad

I am In a long distance relationship do you think they work?

2. HERTSODDBALL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Been there got the t shirt didn't work for me. Drifted apart eventually. But it's what you make of it. Good luck

3. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    I think it works as long as you have the end goal of being back together in the real world, otherwise you're missing the entire physical part of the relationship forever. Although I've never done one, so I guess it's different between specific relationships :slight_smile:

4. Englishlad

This is my second long distance relationship the first one lasted a year. The second one has only been a week. He's scared of me leaving him we haven't talked at all today. I just had One email saying he can't stop thinking about me. That's all today. :frowning2:

5. boysdontcry

Long distance relationships can be tough, there's all the more reason to fight or split up, and sometimes circumstances make you go days or weeks without talking. Like any other relationship, it just might not work out. Communication is key, there's no physical comfort or body language so you have to talk, and say what you mean. If you and your partner are committed enough to the relationship and you're dedicated, I think it's possible to make it work.

6. Englishlad

I just wish my Boyfriend would talk to me. :frowning2: my first long distance relationship broke up because of lies and misunderstanding and I don't want that to happen again. :frowning2:

7. QueerQueen

Everybody seems to look at the downside of LDR relationships but I think one big pro is that you develop a huge emotional relationship with the person, since there is not much going on physically. As long as you both put effort into the relationship, communicate a butt load and see each other eventually all should go well. LDR is just harder, but it can be so worth it if you love the person.

8. wowiemio

my boyfriend might be moving to another country and i'm supposed to follow him withing 6 months to a year, after he gets settled
    I'm very scared of that move, I fear that he might lose interest in me or get used to being on his own
    any advice?

9. Englishlad

Just keep in contact with your boyfriend when he moves away. Lot of phone calls,emails and skyping.

10. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Long distance relationships do work as long as you trust one another, but if you are lied to then this isn't a relationship.
    Being lied to is something which is so common these days, I KNOW AS I BECAME VICTIM TO SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON WHO I TRUSTED.

11. Englishlad

I am finding my long distance relationship so hard. I can't touch him, I don't hear from him for hours. Is it really worth all this stress.

12. LD579

That's for you to decide.

13. Biotech49

I'm in a LDR though (only 75 miles apart though). We communicate all the time and today was especially good. I had my last day of work (unpaid internship) and was feeling very emotional about everything. I asked her a few questions that I had been afraid to ask and she told me straight out how she felt. Both of us are fiercely guarding out hearts. I honestly feel so much better knowing that we are taking this journey together and we will both see if there is a destination involved.

14. Nick07

I am sorry that happened to you too. I know exactly how you are feeling.

15. robotman

I haven't even been in a relationship but I know from long distant relationships that they rarely work... I mean, I know you can see each other by skype and video messaging and all that... but you are not physically intimate... I mean you can't wake up one morning and just go out somewhere if they are far away... So it is harder to have a connection if you know what I mean. Usually after awhile people just grow apart, but it may work for you, I am just giving my opinion on the situation.

16. TransMan

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well said !!!!

17. June Cleaver

I would never try it, but nobody I have ever known to try failed. One person I knew who started one married him one month apart and moved 1000 miles away to be with him. So that one worked, but they were only apart a month so I don't concider it a long distance relationship really. Good luck! June

18. Englishlad

My long distance relationship is going great now. :slight_smile: we are talking on Skype ever day and it's going good. :slight_smile:

19. AlexKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with this so much. My girlfriend and I live a thousand miles apart, but we text throughout the day and talk on Skype every night. While I'd give anything to have her by my side, I'm willing to wait and make this relationship work because she's not only my girlfriend but my best friend. We take the time to listen to each other and really learn the other's flaws and habits.

I honestly think overcoming the distance makes everything worth it, especially when there's the possibility of one day being together forever. You both just have to be strong and willing to make things work. I have faith that your relationship will work out :thumbsup:

20. Lynx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adding my two cents:
    My boyfriend and I are about 1300 miles apart and will be unable to see each other until Fall next year. We've been in a relationship for just over three months now.

I can't say it's not hard, after all physical affection is a big part of a relationship and really, not being able to see the man I love at all for so long is hard on me.
    But do I think it's worth it? Yes. Do I believe we can make it work? Yes.

I think the answer really is being honest and open with each other, which might be hard too (well, honesty shouldn't be hard, but being open can be difficult like this), but really if you guys love each other, it should work out just fine :slight_smile: