1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family ignores identity

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Thisbiguy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Thisbiguy

Thisbiguy Guest

I came out as bisexual to my immediate family about 9 months ago. They were surprised at first, but soon accepted it. Now in the household it seems as if my identity as bisexual is being ignored. Like if my parents want to ask about my love life they will say " hey, any new girls, son?" And because of this I feel like the urges I have to say a guy looks good should be kept to myself whereas feelings towards girls are welcomed. So my question is, how do I address this and how would I vent my feelings about other guys without my family being uncomfortable. Btw, this is my first post. :help:

2. LEG7930

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to my parents as bisexual a little over a year ago, and they ignore the fact still. I think if you want them to acknowledge it I would just sit down with them and see if they have any questions or comments now that they have had some time since you came out to them to process it, and at that time I think it would be appropriate for you to mention to them that you would appreciate it if they didn't make comments like you mentioned about (any new girls). Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Thisbiguy

Thisbiguy Guest

Thanks for that, I'll try it.:icon_bigg

4. Split Arrows

Be happy they are still talking to you, though. I can totally relate, because y dad does the same thing to me. I like to turn it around when my family asks me if I've "got any new girls ", I tend to respond with, "no, but I did meet this great guy the other day". It can be awkward at first, but it does get the point across, especially if they are as accepting as you say.

5. Thisbiguy

Thisbiguy Guest

Thank you for this, now that I think about it my family tends to respond better when I'm blunt. So thank you. :icon_bigg

6. 2112

Say something like "That guy is hot!". It might be the only way to really show them you're bisexual.

7. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a similar issue with mom, but its a bit different because I am gay. I meant, with her because she is the only one who speaks to me about this stuff and is closer (dad and I barely talk).

Whenever she talks about something related to relationships/encounters she purposefully mentions GIRLS. That drives me mad, obviously. So I correct her with terms such as "people", "person". Because that doesn't make her "directly" uncomfortable, like "guys", "dudes", "boys", but sends her a subtle message that it is not about girls.

8. Split Arrows

Saw my dad today and he made one of these comments again, but I couldn't bring myself to correct him. He believes that "it's just a phase " so it's hard to constantly keep correcting him. I guess I'm bad at following my own advice lol.

Maybe when I bring my boyfriend to meet him he'll finally get it :icon_wink