1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sirjeremydean, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I need a little bit of advice.

Coming from/growing up a Christian home, I was always told that people in the GLBT community are evil and sinners and it's a horrible thing. I have gone through many things and hoops to get to where I am at today. I have NOT come out as Transgender to them because of the way they act and are. I fear that I will be thrown out of the house and /or disowned/shunned from the family. I do not know how I'm going to come out to them and frankly, I'm really terrified of doing it.

Is anyone in the same boat I'm in or has been?

2. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, are you gay or are you transgender, cause they are two different things. Transgender is gender IDENTITY, and gay/lesbian/bi/pan/omnisexual is gender PREFERENCE. Anywho, I have a little bit of experience as I have came out as transgender recently. I was excommunicated from the catholic church for my decisions apparently.

The best thing I could recommend is treating the situation like a stick of dynamite you carry around, with as much care and precision as possible. You may get lucky and have open minded christian family, or you could have the opposite end of the spectrum.

Best of luck! :icon_wink

3. I am FtM transgender. To MY knowledge, they have no idea. I DO dress like a guy though, shop in the guy's section and have my hair cut really short, usually a guy's cut. I don't know if they think I'm crazy or just being "tomboyish". They always complain to me about shopping in the guy's though.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you makes you feel better, the organization called "Exodus," which Christian churches used to counsel and offer reparative therapy for its GLBT members, is no longer. They officially folded. Why they still have a website, I don't know. It's a sign that the Christian right wing has thrown in the towel on an argument they can't win, and I believe they've even apologized for all the people they've hurt over the years. I'm digressing a little, though this is related. Regardless of its closure, there will still be fundamentalist Christians who will hold the same views held by Exodus.

I hope others will chime in on how to deal with your family.