1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a Homophobic friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LateNightWolf, Jul 22, 2013.

1. LateNightWolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this one friend, I've known her since 5th grade and we'll both be going to high school next year, although separate ones. I've always been the person to voice my opinions and even in elementary school (3rd and 4th grade) I was having religious and political debates with some of the other students and a few teachers.

My friend and I have never really had a stable friendship. We would talk and joke, sometimes debate or argue. If something bad happened or went too far we wouldn't talk for a couple of weeks until one of us apologized to the other (usually her). When I came out to her I was both worried about what she would think and at the same time I wasn't. I thought 'If she's disgusted, then it's her loss'. :goodevil: She was fine with it, and the girlfriends I had over the year (although she hated one of them).

The other day I was talking to her and she went back onto her whole 'marriage is one man and woman' thing, we debated about that and then went to a different conversation. Although I really hate what she says, my friend has never personally attacked me or any of the open people at my school or anyone around her when we hang out. But often she'll make negative comments on gay couples or the LGBT community, I'll usually make a retort or an argument and we go back into debating. I feel like I could live perfectly fine without her but at the same time I feel like it would suck to loose her as a friend and become full time enemies.

Am I just crazy or does anyone else have this? :starwars:

2. biggayguy

I say don't make an enemy unless you have to. You have to decide which issues you will not compromise to keep a friend. As long as your debates end in agreeing to disagree you should be okay. If she crosses a non-negotiable line don't lie down to keep the friendship.