1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Theraubb, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Theraubb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I've been reading a couple of situations on this site about people being in relationships with people who claim to be straight, but then send off mixed signals. And I am stupidly finding myself in a situation like that, and I thought I'd share to get any outside thoughts or perspectives.
    So I meet this guy at school. And I think he's kinda checking me out, but too shy to be the initiator. So I get him to hang out in a group situation, and we soon exchange numbers and get into a texting constantly nearly everyday type of situation. We become friends on Facebook, blah blah blah. Now at this point I still think he's gay. And it's seemingly confirmed by some of his pictures on Facebook being him in what looks like the generic guy "girlfriend" picture. Well about two weeks into us talking, I find out that the one girl actually is his girlfriend. So I'm like o.k., vibe was wrong, he's still a cool guy I want to be his friend.
    So over time, as we get to know each other, the only stuff he'll say about his girlfriend is really negative. Like she's annoying and clingy and after a while I get it out of him that he's really only with her out of some weird sense of obligation. Sidebar, he's from a very traditionally religious family. So I end up inviting him, and his girl friend to a party at my house, and it's clear right from the start that the girl friend does not like me. So they end up crashing at my place for the night (which I thought was weird because he was drinking but she was sober so she could have driven home) and the next day she ends up friending everyone at my party but me on Facebook.
    A couple weeks go by and he asks if I want to hang out just him and me and go for a walk in the woods. My reaction was kind of ??? o.k. That's cool. So he picks me up we hang out, he complains about his girl friend and he opens up about how he's isolated himself from his other friends. So we talk, hang out, and come back to my place and play video games. That's when I ask him what was up with his girlfriend and me and he tells me it's because she's threatened by me. Now my thoughts are I have plenty of straight girl friends who have boyfriends or husbands who I'm no threat to...partially because they know that even if I did have a crush on their significant other, those feelings weren't reciprocated. So I thought that was kind of a red flag. So, when he was leaving he tells me about how some people from one of his classes are getting together at a bar and did I want to go. I naturally said yes.
    So we go to the bar, and we're hangi out with his friends, and he tells me I look nice, and at one point he tells me I smell good! And after a couple of hours, he says hey, can we hang out this weekend, I need some time away from all the stuff I have going on. I say sure, come over Saturday and we can have a game night or whatever. And he says cool, and maybe he can spend the night if that's all right.
    So the dude is throwing up red flags left and right. So he comes over, we ride our bikes for a while, and we come back to my place and play video games. And we're talking and getting all personal and deep and stuff, and at one point, we end up on my couch under the same blanket together. So early in the morning, I go to bed, and he sleeps on the couch. Next day get up, hang out for a while, as he's leaving I say maybe we can get together with some of my friends next weekend, and he says or we can hang out just me and you again.
    The week goes on, and later that week, I get a call from him telling me he's going to break up with his girlfriend. My first thought is "o.k. If he's goi to do this, I need to make sure he knows he's doing it because he wants to and not because I'm telling him to. Because his girlfriend all ready hates me and I don't want him to later freak out and be like well he made me do it." So he breaks up with her and comes over again on Saturday. Same thing as the week before, except this time when we're sitting on my very large and spacious couch, we're sitting shoulde to shoulder.
    Now here's where the stuff starts to get really confusing. The next Saturday I had this event that I was part of, and we had made plans to hang out before, go to the event, and he COULD if he wanted to come back to my place after. Well that week he started doing the I can't hang out on Saturday, no wait I can. So the day comes, and he shows up with his supposedly ex girlfriend. So the event happens, and he was being all weird and overly nice to everyone, and after he leaves I text him just to be like what the heck? Well the next day we got into this long phone conversation and he cried and kept saying how I know he's in a messed up situation and he doesn't know why he acts the way he acts sometimes, and blah blah blah. So I figure whatever, I'm really starting to like this guy, he IS in a messed up family situation, I can understand that.
    So a couple days later he tells me about a party that some of his friends are having. Since we'd been hanging out, he'd started getting back into contact with his old school friends who he'd, in his words "pushed away" and so I was excited for the chance to get to know some people who have known him for a while. So we go to the party, and he gets bombed. Well, the one minute he's getting all touchy feely with me, and the next he's hard core hitting on this girl who a couple hours before he was telling me he wasn't really into. So, being sober driver I just wait for the night to be over throughout his confusing hijynx, and got hi home and to bed and took off for home even though I was supposed to spend the night. I just felt like his mixed signals were too much that night.
    So the next day he's all hurt and askig why I didn't spend the night and all of that. So knowing that he's the type of person who when confronted with something he'll take it super personally, so I kept my reasons for leaving at "I just felt like I should go home. I felt a little slighted last night but I've had time to et over it." And I thought we were good. So I spend the night that night, I hang out with his brother and his friends again and they all really like me. So when I'm leaving the next day, I do the usual "so let me kow when you want to hang out again" and he was just like "will do." Which is weird because we never left things without making plans to hang out again.
    So that week goes on and I mention a couple times "hey my friends and I are doing this if you want to hang out" and he'll just reply back nah I'm going to just hang out with my friends this weekend. And on top of that, we went from texting multiple times a day, every day to him doing just the one and two word answer replies. So I start thinking I did something to piss him off or something. So I try to see if he is mad about something, and he's completely doing the "no everything is fine" thing even tough it's obviously not. And when I asked if there was something i did to make him mad he says "well you text a lot and it's annoying." To which I replied, well you reciprocated. If I was being so annoying why would you encourage all the texting.
    So now I don't know what to think. I'm left to believe that he's either actually really mad about something and he's not saying what; he's freaking out because he's realizing how much time we're spending together; OR he's really just the type of person who uses people to get what he wants. Like he had his friends, he met his girl friend so he ditched his friends, then he got miserable with his girlfriend, he glommed onto me until he got his old school friends back, and now he's casting me aside. I don't know what to do or think.
    I should also mention that he didn't get back with his girlfriend after that one Saturday. And we still are talking, but it's just weird because it feels like there's this giant elephant in the too and no ones talking about it...or I just got scammed my an attention hog.
    So that's it. That's my story. Sorry it's so long and ramble-y. But any and all feed back would be appreciated.

2. purplesoup92

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From the sounds of it to me, this guy is a very confused man. Even though he's started hanging out with his old school friends, he probably still feels incredibly isolated from them. That could be due to the fact he's scared they won't fully accept him back in, or it might be because he's scared of feeling something for you.
    Fear of being alone can be one of the most powerful things, and often means you push the people you care about away. That way you don't have to deal with their rejection...

Might be completely wrong on it all, but it sounds like he does feel something, even if he isn't sure what it is yet.

3. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend who I think likes me in a romantic way and he behaves like this all the time. One minute he loves my texts, next minute I'm annoying. One minute we r talking every day, then he goes a week or two without responding.

My theory on this behavior from my friend is that he has feelings for me he is trying to deny and push away and pretend they aren't there. Because he doesn't want to be anything but straight he pulls away anytime we get too close and he takes his anger at himself on me. I think your friend is going the same thing.