1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being friendly vs being interested

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cemma, Jul 24, 2013.

1. cemma

Ok so there's this guy and Im just gonna bullet point the things that make me think he may be interested however I feel like at the same time he's probably just being friendly..

-We talk everyday, text, faceebook whatever and its normally initiated by him
    -He complains about helping other people with things but then will continue to offer to help me with the exact same stuff he's complained about with other people
    -This one time I was walking between the shower and the change rooms in just a towel and my bra and at the same time he walked out of the guys change rooms and his eyebrows shot up and said hey
    -One time his mate was like 'you creeping (insert name)' while he was talking to me and he kind of got embarrassed
    -One time he text me while he was drinking and he put an 'x' at the end
    -He's asked me to go away on a weekend trip with him to go snowboarding because we both want to learn
    -A couple of times he's been walking beside me and put his arm around me he also sat on the couch next to me once so that we were touching side by side despite there being a lot of room
    -One time we were both at this breakfast thing (not together) and while he was off helping with something I had to leave and he text me later to ask where I went
    -There were three boats with two people out marshaling a swim race and his mate(the same one who accused him of creeping)was like to a group that of guys I was with 'Oh cute how all the couples are out in marshal boats together, Jess and (him) should go out in the other one'
    -He told me I looked good but in front of my bf at the time (short relationship because he was a dick)
    -He is always asking me if Im ok when somethings up and has this sympathetic kind of tone with me quite a lot and his voice is a little quieter
    -He often hangs around to talk to me after training even when he was swimming earlier than me
    -He's keen to train together now during the off season (we are both competitive swimmers)
    -He has the identical taste in music to me which is a wee bit alty compared to most people and he has offered to give me some music
    -He tells me stories about his childhood
    -One time we were out at a bar and my guy mate kept pointing out that he kept staring at me, however Id just had a huge hair cut
    -He complimented me multiple times on that hair cut

I can't figure out if these and a few other things are him being interested or just nice. He's eight years older than me and so I wonder if he is treating me more like a little sister? He tends to get on well ish with the rest of the girls squad but he doesn't talk to them as much as to me

2. Figureskater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, if he's not your best friend, he's interested in you. That much to me is obvious

3. Gregarity

I concur with Figureskater; he seems like he's interested. If anything, l'd ask him about it, and your suspicion of if he's just treating you like a lil sis.

4. cemma

I really would like to ask him but Im not really a cards on the table kind of person.. Is there a chance that he would do all these things bu just in a friendly way? Would you?

5. bluesky

Between men and women... if he's interested, I think you would know for sure by now wouldn't you? I don't see the point in a guy beating around the bush with a girl that he likes, if she's single and available. Unless he's super shy or something. I mean I couldn't be wrong and maybe he's shy which is why he's not really upfront with you, but that's just my take in it.

And to answer your question, as a gay man, yes I would do all those things above to you. It's easy for me to approach woman and treat them like my best friend and wanting to do things with them. There could be many reasons why, but same with what everyone else said.. if you really wanna know, you have to ask. Good luck!

6. Gregarity

Sure, l might do some of those with my girl friends, but l'm also gay, and really it's just hugs and laying on each other. Imma go out on a limb and say that this guy's straight, right?

7. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Honestly, as another gay guy,I've done some of things you listed with my female friends. I'm not saying hes gay by any means, but honestly some of the examples listed are kind of non-informative in my eyes.

Some of these seem like "oh he likes you" and when you add them up together its more apparent. Maybe he thinks ur friend zoning him lol.

Really, from my perspective, half of these things are more signs of "just being polite" I know many straight guys are capable of being polite, or being good/close friends with girls WITHOUT just wanting sex or a relationship.

From what ive said, I think the best way to go about it is to ask him about it. Do you like him? or are you just curious?

Keep in mind because hes 8 years older than you... if you ask him, He might freak out like "whoa, i was just being nice/a good friend" This is a tricky one... Its certainly possible to create situations out of what seems like something, but is in reality nothing. Maybe wait a bit, see if it keeps up in more obvious scenarios. Im also assuming he doesn't have a girlfriend.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, i asked more questions than I answered >.<

8. cemma

See this I think is the huge thing for me, yes I think I do like him however he's the first guy I've been attracted to which is weird in itself.. I mean realistically I imagine nothing would come of it because he is moving away at the end of the year.

When I compare him to my guy best friend though (its in a 100% committed straight relationship) the dynamics are just completely different like my friend I will go to his house a snuggle in his bed for a while or it's completely acceptable for him to show obviously flirty behaviour but as a joke. He sees me as one of the guys. And we tend to talk maybe twice a week, give or take- on top of the times I see him around training which is most days.
    But this guy talks to me everyday sometimes two or three times, we talk about music a lot and the weekend trip away to the next closest city has turned into several days in Australia.. And he keeps talking of how excited he is for this and so on, he's even made comments encouraging me to go study where he's moving to for work next year..

But at the same time a lot of these things were done while I was in a relationship -lasted a month and was my attempt to be straight.. Dumb I know.

But yes he's back in the country after a coupl of months away in the next couple of weeks so I suppose if anything is going to happen it will then