1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my best mate gay? Erection whilst spooning.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by totaldynamic, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totaldynamic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 21 years old and my best mate is 19. We've been best mates for about 4 years now. I'm gay but am in the closet. I'm not camp at all, so nobody suspects me of being gay and nobody knows that I am.

Me and my best mate spend loads of time together, going to the gym, playing Xbox and we go to the cinema quite a lot, just the two of us. We usually see each other 3 or 4 times a week and I developed really strong feelings for him pretty early on into our friendship. And because of that I'm constantly asking myself if he's gay or not.

He never really talks about girls, well at least not with me and he's never had a girlfriend. There was one girl that we both used to work with that he seemed interested in and spent some time with but then nothing happened, even when she was single. He says he doesn't want a girlfriend ("because they take all your money and don't let you see your mates" he said) and I'm almost certain he's still a virgin, even though he's had a few offers from some of my friends (girls) who have been interested in him. All my other mates aren't virgins, but he doesn't seem too bothered about the fact he's never had sex. I'm the same but its only because I'm gay but really don't want to come out to anyone.

We joke about in a gay way sometimes, just banter I suppose, things like when I say "F**k you" and he'll reply with "OK then", or "You'd like that wouldn't you?". Also, we are going to a festival this year and we've been a few times in the past and we always camp with each other but this year I said to another friend I'd camp with her and he seemed to get a bit annoyed, said he couldn't or wouldn't stay with anyone else, so I said I'd stay with him instead.

I don't know if he suspects I'm gay, I think he probably does, because I touch him a lot, whether its just brushing legs or leaning into him at the cinema or playing with his feet. Its strange though, sometimes he lets me do it, and rarely he does it back, but then other times he will pull away. I've never had a girlfriend either and even though I've pulled girls whilst I've known him, he knows they weren't serious.

And then sometimes he says really homophobic stuff like how gay's are disgusting and they make him feel sick. But then when one of my other mates younger brother came out, his dad kicked him out and my best mate seemed to have a different opinion about it then, he said that the lad couldn't help it and if it was his brother he wouldn't be arsed because its not his fault.

Anyway, I basically came to the conclusion that I didn't think he was gay and the chances of him being gay were really slim and I love him as a best mate so I figured its not worth risking our friendship as he is the best mate I've ever had.

That was until the other night anyway. A group of us go out quite a lot into town at night and get drunk and then we go back to mine and we usually squeeze 4 of us in my double bed. Whether its me or not, I always make sure I am next to my best mate so I can cuddle him. I always take my t-shirt off and just sleep in my underwear and at first he stayed fully clothed but now he always takes his top off aswell, but he always keeps his pants on. Again with this though, I always spoon him, he very rarely returns the favour. Sometimes I rub his chest, nipples and stomach and he just lets me but then other times he moves my hand away. Sometimes I get an erection when doing this but I don't really hide it and sometimes its rubbing against him.

Anyway, the other night, I was drunk and was doing the usual, rubbing his chest and nipples and stomach when I decided to move further down and started to rub his pubes. He didn't react and let me do it, I think he was asleep at the time. I carried on doing this for a while, rubbing his stomach with my other hand when I noticed he had an erection. I was a bit taken aback so turned over but then temptation got the better of me so I turned back over and started cuddling him again. I started rubbing his shorts and noticed he was flaccid again but then when I started rubbing his penis he got hard pretty quick. So I just lay there whilst he was asleep (or pretending to be???) touching his penis and rubbing him through his shorts.

Then he turned over and faced me so I stopped before he turned back after a few minutes. I noticed he still had an erection so this time I put my hand down his shorts and his boxers and started touching his penis. I got really nervous so I only touched around the head for a couple of minutes and rubbed his pubes, but he didn't stop me.

So I don't know what to do now? Does this mean he might be gay? Or was he just fast asleep and happened to have an erection? Would you not wake up if your mate was playing with your dick at night?

2. LD579

Uh, for future reference, you shouldn't rub your friend's penis without his permission... Or anyone's, for that matter. I believe it's quite common for guys to just pretend to be asleep while such things happen, just because it's less awkward that way.

He could be gay. He could be bisexual. He could just be straight. He could be something else entirely. You won't know for sure unless you asked.

3. SomeNights

Um, I am sorry, but I don't think any straight guy would go to 3rd base multiple times with another guy. However it defiantly sound like he is deep in his closet. Try watching a movie with gay leads or talking about a gay celeb and gauge his reactions or maybe ask him the hypothetical " what would you do if I told you I was gay?"

4. lukeluvznicki13

Somenights has a good opinion and idea on how to figure out whether your friend is gay/bi or not. Perhaps use those, probably the best tips.

5. fluffyhandcuff

First of all, I agree with Luthan. You shouldn't touch anyone's intimate areas without their permission.
    Hm, to me it sounds like he could be interested in guys but is in the denial phase. But you can't know unless you talk about it with him.

6. LD579

I wholeheartedly disagree. This happened once, not multiple times. Furthermore, what other option did this friend have? React and potentially cause a scene or some drama (It's not clear if there were others in the room/house/whatever at the time)? That'd just be embarrassing. Besides, getting touched there by anyone could potentially be good. It doesn't mean he's deep in the closet.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Imagine if the friend was a Girl & you did that, you could have heard the knock of the police on the door, to touch someones genitals without their consent or knowledge is Sexual Assault, well in the UK or Ireland it is, whether it's a Guy or a Girl :eusa_naug

8. fluffyhandcuff

Oh and another thing to add: an erection is no evidence. Rape victims get erections, too, it's a natural reaction of the body but they don't enjoy being raped, do they?

9. SomeNights

I didn't say that i thought he was in the right be touching his mates penis, but my opinion on that matter wasn't asked. Besides they were both drunk, gay or straight tell me you haven't done something you regret while drunk . Rather than rag on the op for his actions I chose to ignore it and provide advice on whether or not his friend was gay and give him options to find out how his friend would take it if the op came out to his friend. Furthermore leading into the possibility that if the op comes out to his friend it provides an example path/almost gaurnteed acceptance that if his mate is gay that he could safely come out to the op. I mean the first person I actually came out to (besides my sister) was my theatre manager, because he was gay, he knew what it's like and it almost garunteed me that I wouldn't have to worry much about telling him.

Sorry that kinda turned into a rant, but there is some good information there so I'll leave it.

10. LD579

Pardon me. Wrong word choice, and correction in bold.

Yes, I'm aware you didn't think that. I was not ragging on the OP for his actions besides my first post in this thread, but it had to be said. Letting such behaviour continue wouldn't be wise in many regards. I still don't think the friend can be considered deeply in the closet for having an erection and letting it get touched by his friend.

The rest of your first post in this thread was fine, though.

11. SomeNights

Agreed, not by that action alone, but cuddling repetitively? Adding on to the fact that his responses are erratic (meaning that he's fine with it sometimes, but not others) and his somewhat weavering response to gay people in general. Your right, maybe "deeply in the closet" was a bad choice of words as well, but when you look at all of that(cuddling, movie theather, weavering responce to gay people), this situation has quite a bit of potential in regards to the mate being.....not 100% straight, but I could be wrong....it happens (quite often)

#11 SomeNights, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  12. LD579

I agree. It's quite homoerotic... but straight guys can be maddeningly ambiguous like that. Personally, I'm more of a cautious person, and so I err on that side a lot... But I definitely see where you're coming from. Don't doubt that :wink:

13. Beware Of You

Am I the only one who finds this creepy? I dunno I just don't like people playing with my stuff without me saying they can or implying it.

14. SomeNights

see, they were friends though. I mean if it was some random person I'd be calling 9-1-1 asafp. However, it's just like any other relationship, you take a risk. I mean if this was a girl feeling a guy up, would we even be having this conversation? Plus I mean the guy had set boundaries before and it's not like he was afraid to say "stop".

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So would it be OK for a Girl to Rape a Boy, just because he was a friend & in a deep sleep & his dick reacted to stimulation, most abusers are known by the victim, because he is a friend, doesn't give him the right to stick his hand down his pants without his consent & molester his genitals, thats not only sexual abuse but a betrayal of trust! :eusa_naug

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because someone doesn't stay stop doesn't mean it's okay. I totally agree with Dublin Boy; it would have been even more awkward if this were a girl you were feeling up. Maybe this "best mate" was too scared to say no. I'm pretty sure you can get an erection when your penis is rubbed by a girl or guy. IMO, it's best to talk with him more directly, especially to see if he is comfortable with what you're doing.

17. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    The human brain is hard-wired to get aroused when its genitals are being "interacted" with, therefore him getting an erection isn't exactly a sign of him being gay/bi. The varying reactions to gays and the allowed snuggling up to him though...........possibly. You'll never know if you don't ask.

18. SomeNights

Hold on now, they were obviously close friends and it was not out of the normal for them to be somewhat intimate. Not rape, not even close to rape and the analogy you just drew was a gross misrepresentation of what I said.

Wasn't out of the normal. Implied permission and I think it's been blown way out of context.

19. livinglifefree

I agree with the general consensus above that the only way to really know is for him to tell you. I definitely think coming out to him is a good idea. I do think the implication that you raped him is completely out of line though. I mean there was not verbal consent, but you by no means forced yourself on him. It may have been a little sexually inappropriate, but was NOT rape. He could have easily moved if he was awake and did not want that to happen. I am definitely not a guy, but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't wake up while someone was touching his penis. I would like to think that I would wake up if someone had their hand down my pants. I also think that his varying reactions to your physicality show that either he doesn't know how he feels or he just doesn't know how to handle the situation. I think the only resolution to this particular question is talking. (I wouldn't bring up the drunken night in bed though..)

20. bluesky

Wow, this thread became an argument practically. The OP touched his friends penis, okay, it's over and done with. I think you guys are just making him uncomfortable arguing over this issue rather than helping him resolve it.

Somenights, I agree with you and that their friendship is beyond what any of us can imagine. It sounds like you guys are just bashing on him for being "creepy." I don't get it, none of us are in his shoes... he's simply telling us once major incident that happened and I feel like everyone is nagging him base on that. Their friendship can't be established through a single post.

Anyway, I think your friend probably has feelings for you too. And like everyone said, you won't ever know unless you ask him straight up. But keep in mind that you are risking a lot of things at the same time. If you feel as if you're ready for it then you should give it a go. All his closeness without that you explained to us are valid that he probably does like you in a way. Good luck with this, and keep us up dated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.