1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone from a different Socio-Economic background

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jared, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Jared

What do you guess think about dating someone with a different socio economic background than yourself. I honestly never gave much thought to it until my current relationship, I'm from an upper class family and my bf is from a middle/lower middle class family. In the beginning I didn't really think anything of it since we were both still in college and young, I'm 19 and he's 22. But as time has gone on, I've noticed we have very different approaches to money.

I've never had to worry about money and I can kinda spend what I want, while he's always worrying about money. But the funny thing is I'm the cheap practical one and he's not. If I don't have to money to do something unnessaecary I just don't do it. I was raised to pretty much live within my means, my family has no debt. My boyfriend on the other hand doesn't have that much money, but is eating out constantly and spending money he really doesn't have and it kinda drives me bonkers.

He's mentioned that if we do work out long term that he'd feel guilty for most likely depending on me for financial support, I'm a computer science major and he's a sociology major. That kinda freaked me out since as much as I try to tell myself mine doesn't matter, it does to some extent. And I just sorry that our different background might conflict at some point.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for myself, I have an interesting conflict. My cash flow is terrible. The thought of dating someone with more money makes me uncomfortable. Probably because of shame of my situation, plus the practical fact that I cannot keep up with him. He wants a nice vacation for the weekend on the beach? I'd stand waving bye-bye, screaming "E-mail me photos," and then probably go in, nearly in tears, and spend the weekend in a depressed stupor.

I avoid that with someone of my own income level, but there is still the fact that there wouldn't be the cash necessary for dates. I suppose some dates can be free, but there are things that might be fun to do that don't involve checking a DVD out from the library and baking a pizza bought on sale for dinner.

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

As for you, Jared, the fact you and your boyfriend have different approaches to money is an issue that needs to be resolved if this turns long term. This is not an an economic class issue. This is a personal money handling issue. It is an issue that has caused many, many divorces.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good you're thinking about this now. Money problems were/are a huge reason for the disputes between my parents (and I think couples in general), and so I've been pretty frugal with my own money.