1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Dating Older Guys REALLY That Bad?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JakeFromNarnia, Jul 26, 2013.

1. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! ^~^ I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. My relationships with younger guys never work. Ever. They always go down within a week. I've never dated guys my OWN age simply because there aren't any guys my age to date with in my own town. Now I've been think about older guys for a long time. There has always been mutual attraction and older guys always seem more mature. And I'm not that immature. So it may work. I don't know why people shoot it down as soon as I bring it up. I mean, it's not illegal. I'm still only going to go after guys a year or two older than me. (I'm 15)

So when it all comes down to it, is dating older guys REALLY that bad? Tell me about some of your own experiences? It'd be nice. ^~^ Thanks beforehand. :kiss:

2. AKTodd

The issues that are generally mentioned when considering older guys (or age differnces in general) center around potential differences in life experience, 'place in life', and power in the relationship. These factors can all fluctuate a bit depending on the overall age of those involved (meaning an age difference that is a concern when you're in your teens or 20s may be of no concern if you're in your 30s, for example).

A difference of a year or two seems unlikely to have too many problems in these areas until/unless you start getting into issues around one of you going off to college (or being in college) while the other is still in HS or the like. In some places there is a potential issue if one person is over the local age of consent (which can range from 16-18 depending on where you are). Not sure how that works in a same-sex context and the reality is that it's not uncommon for parents and the community to look the other way if they like the couple and they've been together a long time or something (of course the opposite reaction is also possible).

That all said, there is also the issue of individual circumstances, personalities, etc.

My partner is 13yrs older than I am and we get along just fine. We met when I was 27. So even a difference of more than a couple years can be fine, depending on circumstances.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One to two years at your age probably isn't a big deal. The real issue -- and likely the one that's causing you problems with people you've dated thus far -- is maturity. There are 15 year olds that are in many ways 17 or 19, and 15 year olds who are probably more like a 12 year old in emotional maturity (the same applies to people 18, 20, 30, 40...)

The issue is, when you get beyond more than 1 or 2 years at your age, then even if you're exceptionally mature, the life experience and stage-of-life issues start to get in the way and that creates imbalances. But what you're talking about shouldn't be an issue.

4. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Myself I don't see age difference an issue, as long as there is a mutual attraction and you share the same feelings then good luck to you, the trouble is society seems to point fingers of an age gap-just get over it, as long as they are in love then it's nobody's business apart from there own. I am gay, get over it, there is an age difference, get over that as well !

5. Techno Kid

Like others have said, as long as the two people are at the same maturity level and want a similar thing from the relationship. If those two things are followed I don't see a problem with age difference (to a point).

6. Gen

Gen

Another thing to consider is the 'later in life' aspects.

If I am 20 and my partner is 43, when I'm 30 he is going to be 53, when I'm 30 he is going to be 63, etc.

This relationship is fine as of now, but when we are considering long term things can easily complicate themselves as the decades bring higher risks of alzheimer's, heart disease, cancer, etc. As each of us start breaking into old age we are all likely to come down with our own set of issues, and your partner will be no different. Most of us are simply too nice to break off a relationship, because of illness on our partners behalf so you have to recognize that things can turn very one-sided very fast.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is definitely plausible (and calculable)...on the other hand, I don't know what research has been done to see whether these relationships actually work. So far I see opinions based on possible power relationships, but power is a funny thing. Perhaps the wrong analogy; but what is the power of a child over a parent?

Younger partners wield power too, the variables and factors for success in these relationships are numerous and complex, and simply have a lot to do with just who is involved.

8. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bear in mind that for your SPECIFIC situation, Jake, you are only 15, so if you date someone only a few years older than yourself, it might very well BE illegal for him to do anything beyond sharing malt with you at the Chocolate Factory.

(And thinking of someone 16 or 17 as an "older" guy makes me feel like my avatar should be a cave drawing or a picture of a mummy...)

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Would you stare at this Gay Couple in a Bar & would you think their relationship was wrong?

[​IMG]

10. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Im 16. When i was 15 I dated a 25 year old. Don't regret it. We broke up, but not because of our age difference or maturity levels... Long ass story and scandal i don't wanna get into >.<

Many people would say he was taking advantage of me, but he really wasn't in anyway. Our different experiences just made us closer and it was lovely.

Obv. not everyone is mature enough to handle a relationship with an older person. Its all different for everyone, and seeing as how ive done it, I could care less. I don't think being upset about an age difference from an outside perspective is alright either just because TYPICALLY someone is taking advantage of the younger person. If anything in our relationship, I was taking advantage of him tbh :frowning2:

11. srslywtf

:lol:
    Think of it this way. one guy's younger is another guy's older.

12. ASR29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To me it really depends on where you are in life. For example.. dating a guy 10 years older at 15...you have zero in common with someone who is 25. However when you are 25 dating a guy 10 years older is different. While the age go me it depends on where you both are in life.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Makes sense to me :slight_smile:

14. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    We had plenty in common, the only thing different were our life experiences. Its a step to assume something about a relationship just because of the age difference. There are 15 year olds more mature than 25 year olds and vice versa, so IMO experiences are the only obstacle you will for sure run into.

15. UndercoverGypsy

Oh god, I read that as 13 years old. That was kinda terrifying for a sec.

Anyways, as for the post, I don't think one or two years is that much older, is it?

16. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the real danger of younger being attracted to older has already been discussed and I couldn't agree more that there is always the potential for the older guy to take advantage of a teenager.

The teenager needs to arm himself with the knowledge that this is always a possiblity and now how to protect/defend himself if he finds himself in a situation where he is being taken advatage of.

I think if the older guys is honestly a 'good guy' then he would be prepared to wait rather than rush into a relationship, you know? like explore a friendship before a relationship.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

If you're attracted to older guys, I don't see why there would be a problem with dating one. Yeah people are in different places in life, but you can't tell where someone is just by their age, sometimes things don't line up that way. Some people are more mature for their age, others are less mature, both physically and emotionally.

Obviously since you are 15 and thus below the age of consent, you can't go too much older and seek relationships that would be illegal. However you seem to realize that already.

But I WISH I were attracted to older guys, it would make things so much easier, I'm jealous of all the guys who seem to have this 'problem' of being attracted to older guys rather than chasing the hot young twinks...

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rakkus, from your profile pics and this post, it appears you are attracted to your peers. Although there can be strong relationships formed outside your peer group, as a general rule, the strongest relationships do tend to be with one's peers. Now, I would go as far as saying that to define a peer, you need to look at what stage of life the person is in, as well as maturity. A person who is more mature than their age would suggest is not going to have a fullfilling relationship with a person less mature than their age would suggest. The reason someone older than about 25 starts to really have a wider age gap is that the life stages significantly slow down at that point, and the maturity level changes much slower. These people are usually at least a couple years into their carreer, so there is less disruption from different life stages, such as one being in high school and the other in college, or one still in school and the other in a carreer. This is also why many places have laws that make it illegal for a teacher to *ahem* be with their student, regardless of ages. They are at significantly different stages of their life, and there is an inherent power differential involved.

#18 confuzzled82, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. BudderMC

To clarify a bit, the strongest relationships are often with those you are very similar to (hence why the saying "opposites attract" is horrible ideal). It also so happens that you are often most similar to those closest in your peer group, which often is comprised of people similar to you in age.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we're going to be helpful to the OP, we should keep in mind the context of the age difference he's discussion. The OP is 15 and talking about dating someone 1 to 2 years older than they are. Since maturity levels can vary drastically in the teen years over just a couple years of age difference, it's probably not problematic, as I said before.