1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complicated relationship with boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 22 years old and have been in a relationship with a 45 year old man since december. THe relationship has been going great although there have been some rocky points. The problem i continue to have with him is that he is set in his ways and and set on what he wants to achieve in life. We are currently living together and it has been going great so far. We both don't have a lot of money and want to start a successful online business together. I like the loving relationship we have but there are some things he has his heart set on that I don't know if I can commit too.

He wants to move all the way from Minnesota to Connecticut to have a threesome with this millionaire friend he has for the purpose of building wealth. I always think and honestly tell him how ridiculous the idea is but he is set on it and thinks it is the best option for us. This guy does not even sound like a trustworthy person although he think we can trust him. My boyfriend does not understand the fact that I never met this guy in person so I can I even trust this. The only reason he wants to move to Connecticut is because of this friend he has. It would a temporary thing than we would move out to California to hopefully get a venture capitalist in Silicon Valley to help our business go big.

Despite all this I love this guy and he loves me. I want to make it clear that I don't want to move all the way to Connecticut to be friends with some guy. It is so easy for him to just pick up and move all the way there because he has no family that he cares for or that accepts his sexuality. I have all my family here and they accept me as I am. I have my whole life here in Minnesota. I don't mind living in another state someday but moving all the way to Connecticut sounds to me to be very unwise. He just wants to be pick up and go with him just like that.

I would appreciate any advice or honest opinions.

2. Gen

Gen

I'm having a hard time recognizing that you are actually the one who is half his age. Where to start....

First, the most blatantly obvious issues, is this idea for a threesome. If this millionaire is really 'his friend' he wouldn't have to sleep with him for business connections or assistance. Not to mention, unless he expects the millionaire to simply write a check for him this clearly isn't going to be a one time affair. Despite that fact, this isn't even about being polyamorous as a lifestyle, he is simply trying to sell himself. You have voiced your opinion that you do not agree with this. That is a big issue. If he is planning to engage in sexual relations that has not been given mutual agreeance by both you, that is infidelity. It doesn't matter if you were made aware before hand.

Secondly, I would strongly suggest that you do not proceed with this online business with him. Your income and career should never be based on your relationship with your partner. It would be fine if it was a small thing on the side, but it sounds as though this is being pursued as the basis of each of your careers. Should your relationship fall; your business is almost guaranteed to fall with it. It happens all of the time.

Lastly, if I'm going to be brutally honest, I think it would probably be best for this relationship to end. You a both at very different stages in your lives. He is probably feeling as though his age is catching up with him, which is why he seems to be grasping at straws and doing everything he can to reach success. You are being much more level-headed about it. I know you love each other, but it is possible to love the person that is simply not right for you. His search for wealthy is ultimately going to end with your heartbreak.

You're 22. On a financial and romantic level, it is better for you to get out now.

3. AKTodd

Hrm. I'm in a relationship with a significant age difference (my partner is 13yrs older), and the basic concept of a threesome doesn't bother me at all if everyone is onboard with the idea. I'm also 44, so close in age to your boyfriend.

That all said, your boyfriend doesn't sound like he's being very realistic, or even rational. To be honest he reminds me of various people I've known who let wishful thinking get in the way of common sense.

If your idea for an online biz is so great, why not just go straight to CA for venture capital? For that matter, I'm pretty sure there are venture capitalists in the Midwest. For that matter why do you need to move somewhere for this? I can see some meetings where the money person is, but otherwise email and conference calls are how things are done these days.

The whole threesome for money is just prostitution really. Also not clear how it is supposed to result in any amount of money that would be significant to your venture or make up for the costs incurred in moving across the country (twice). If this guy is such a good friend and so wealthy and your biz idea is so good, why not approach him for venture capital directly? Etc. Mainly trying to point out the logical holes here w/o getting into moral judgements and such. Although if you want to touch on those, I'm not getting a sense that a three way with a stranger thrills you, which to my mind should be a major reason your bf should be reconsidering it. That he's not does not fill me with happy feelings for your relationship, I'm afraid.

The issue of being a couple and biz partners is also a valid concern, although some people do it. If you plan to get a really good lawyer to draw up paperwork that will hopefully let the company survive if your relationship doesn't.

I don't think it is necessary to even consider any age difference issues in this situation to see lots of danger signs. I would advise against making this move.

Todd

4. LD579

I agree with what everyone else has said. Also, would you really be fine with your boyfriend having sex with this guy for money? Are you going to be involved with the sex between those 2, as well? Either way, it's not fair to you. You could either give your boyfriend an ultimatum or leave him... in my opinion.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who owns muitlple online businesses in different fields... you don't need to be in silicon valley, and depending on what it is, you don't need a lot of capital to start it either.

Gen's given great advice here. I'm going to amplify and be a little harsh.

First, healthy 45 year old guys do not get into relationships with people half their age (10 years at that age is one thing; 20 is something different entirely.) The fact he's in this relationship at all *should* tells you there's some sort of issue with him emotionally.

Second, the notion of essentially demanding that you submit to a 3 way relationship to "build wealth" is, to put it mildly, fucked up. It's wrong on a whole bunch of levels.

Third, it is probably not a good idea to get into a business with him, for a couple of reasons. I've had many business partners over the years, and many wonderful business relationships. One of my current business partners and I have worked on many different businesses and projects over 10 years, and one of the reasons it works so well is there is a very high degree of mutual respect; we always listen to each other, we never go forward in anything unless we are both in agreement, and we almost never have disagreements, simply *because* we listen to each other, respect each others' views, and neither of us simply accepts the others' positions, but we discuss until we're both happy. It doesn't sound like you can do that with your boyfriend, and that is a recipe for absolute disaster as far as business goes (let alone relationship.)

Finally, simply moving to Silicon Valley will not get you in the door with venture capitalists. I've met and worked with a number of them, and, with few exceptions, most of the projects they get involved in come through already established connections. You're better off developing the project first and having something to show, and then, if it's an interesting and potentially profitable project, it will be much easier to get VC money, if you need it at all... always best to do without it if you can, because then you don't dilute ownership.

So, in short...

-- Going to Connecticut and/or even hooking up with this guy is a terrible idea. If your intuition says he isn't trustworthy... your intuition will *almost always* be correct and you shoule follow it.

-- Being in a relationship at all with this guy is probably unwise, for the reasons stated above.

-- Being business partners with someone who does not respect your views and treat you as an equal is a *terrible* idea.

-- If you have entrepreneurial aspirations and the energy to do it, you can do it by yourself, or find a healthier partner to do it with. This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He has not known this guy for years and became close friends with him. I think it is getting to be point where he is obsessed with this guy who is 49 years old and a college professor. The guy doesn't even sound like a legit friend he is not trustworthy at all. By the time we would meet him he might not care about us at all. He wants us to be in this three way love triangle to be financially secure.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

The main reason for moving to california has nothing to really to do with business it has more to do with the cold minnesota winters. If I completely back out of the threesome he will back out of it too because he loves me more than anything and cannot lose me. He would do anything for me. He wants us to be together more than anything.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

Like I stated before I come first because his friend in Connecticut. If I back out he will not go forward with it because he loves me more than that. I would be involved fully in the threeway but I am not really going for it at all.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

I agree completely that engaging in any kind of relationship with this man is wrong on am levels.

I love my boyfriend and the age difference is not a big issue for me. It is hard to find anyone to be with romantically especially in a small town and I am lucky to have found someone to love. I know a high school classmate of mine who is 21 or 22 and he is dating a 42 year old guy. Age means nothing because when your gay and in rural minnesota your either lucky or not. Yeah some of his viewpoints or ambitions I disagree with and the most important thing is that he values my opinion more than anyone else. He does not want to to lose me and I don't know if I want to lose him.

My boyfriend and I did not do a good job of saying is actually a very smart person. We both never went to college but will do anything to achieve success regardless. We both have disabilities. We are alike in so many ways despite our differences in age.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That simply isn't true, and is a sign that you don't have enough confidence or belief in yourself to realize you deserve better. Think of it this way: In a town of 5000, there are, conservatively, 250 gay people out there. They aren't all 40 or otherwise messed up. In fact, I have a friend from rural MN who is in his early 20s and has had several relationships with several guys his own age.

This isn't jsut about age; it's about someone who, as you said, is stuck in his ways, which means he doesn't really value your opinion that much. If he's only willing to change his stance on something because he fears losing you... sorry, but that isn't a relationship of respect, it's a relationship of desperation and dysfunction. Of *course* he doesn't want to lose you! You're half his age and should be dating someone you're worthy of, but instead, you're settling for a guy twice your age, who doesn't truly respect you or your opinions, who is trying to force you to do stuff that isn't appropriate or emotionally healthy, and has very unhealthy, opportunistic, and otherwise fucked up views on life. Really, I'm sorry but... this is *not* a healthy relationship, and you can *definitely* do better.

My boyfriend and I did not do a good job of saying is actually a very smart person. We both never went to college but will do anything to achieve success regardless. We both have disabilities. We are alike in so many ways despite our differences in age.[/QUOTE]