1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take your parents to come round...?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Girl24, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Girl24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just wondering how long it took other people's parents to come round after you came out to them if they weren't accepting at first?

I told my parents a couple of months ago that I have a girlfriend - my mum is absolutely fine with it, but my dad really disapproves. What makes it harder though is that I've always been very close to him, but now he only talks to me if he has to and he completely avoids any sort of conversation where my girlfriend might come up - I only get to hear his views second hand through my mum. I really hope things get back to normal soon, although I'm not holding out too much hope at the moment.

2. biggayguy

Mom never did come around. We just had an uneasy truce not to talk about it. Dad doesn't care as long as I'm safe. I think it makes my dad uncomfortable even now to talk about sex with his son. He makes blue jokes to cover his feelings.

3. Girl24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It hadn't really crossed my mind that he might never accept it :icon_sad: I don't know how I'll cope in the future if he doesn't get over it - family are such an important part of my life, and I don't want to never be able to see them with my girlfriend for fear that my dad will just make things really awkward. How did you cope without talking about it??

4. Rolando4

A week after I told my mom I was bi, she came to me and we kind of talked. She stated that she's supportive, and all that other good stuff. But she (and my family) ignores it and we never talk about it. So I feel like they're not that comfortable with it yet.

5. lukeluvznicki13

I'm too afraid to tell my parents because i feel they will treat me differently and that it would be extremely awkward.

6. angelzflyyy

angelzflyyy Guest

At first when I said "I have a girlfriend" to my dad, he laughed because he thought I was joking. Of course it kinda hurt that he didn't take me seriously at first, so he went into the store and came out with cherry chapstick while singing "Katy Perry I kissed a girl." He also said that it was fine if I had a girlfriend. When I told my mom she just gave me a weird look and was like "Ok?" But they know I prefer men over women.

7. biggayguy

Dad knows I see guys. He just doesn't want to know the details. We talk mostly about trivial things like the weather or sports. Then we ask about each other's health. It's like a don't ask, don't tell situation. Sometimes we talk about my childhood memories.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Parents, and my aunts and uncles, don't care about this sort of thing. They have kids who have never married. They still love their kids and the issue of sexual identity doesn't come up. They just accept whomever we bring to the house and our circle of friends, but most of these friends are fairly conventional ... but may not be between the sheets. Who knows? My relatives have seen larger adversities in life, that his is small change and they don't sweat it. Part of it is cultural. Some people don't come from middle-American Bible thumping backgrounds and live in very diverse urban centers, where it seems to be less of an issue.

#8 Tightrope, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  9. Thisbiguy

Thisbiguy Guest

PHP:
    That's exactly how I feel. My family will shy away from any conversation involving bisexuality. It seems as if almost 6 months later they are still uncomfortable with the idea of my being with someone of the same sex. How long have you been out to your family Rolando4?

10. Lunarchy

My mother pretended to accept me for a bit, but later showed her true colours, although my relationship with my mother has always been... well down right horrible. My father is a little confused, but he tries, even if he doesn't really understand what that means. He treats me like a son now, which I think is kinda funny, but that's just me. (I'm not even very masculine haha ^)^)

Anyways, with cases like this, where you are close to your parents, I find that they eventually do come around, once the initial shock wheres off, and they realize that you are sincere about it. What your father is doing is actually quite normal, he is just dealing with it in his own way. Act like nothing has changed, and eventually, he will realize you are the same person you have always been ^)^

11. Hrantou

I told my parents back in late 2009 and they still haven't come around. My dad doesn't accept it at all, and still brings it up that I'll "marry a girl one day and be happy" and points out hot girls when we are together. And I've made it very clear that I am 100% gay :dry:

My mother still thinks I'm questioning, and or least hopes I am and will one day snap back and get with a woman. (Which will never happen) And we have an unspoken agreement that she won't bring it up, and neither will I.