1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic cousin! Putting doubt in my head

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rena, Jul 29, 2013.

1. rena

Iv recently thought that I'd made such progress in the last few weeks in accepting myself as a lesbianand loving myself (im not out yet except to mt twin) However recently Iv had family come to stay with me and I have a really homophobic cousin, it really hurts because I thought I'd come out to the family onthe near future but this has just made me loose my confidence.
    I have an older cousin who is a lesbian and she's out she dose t know about me but this family membe who has come to stay with me dislikes her because of this fact and says horrible things about gay people specifically lesbians, she can't comprehend loving annother woman and even says things like "ill make out other cousin straight again" she's one of those people who think it's a choice and it's a phase and I use to think like ray so now I'm thinking what if it is. (Thinking it was a phase in the pas has left me lonely and detached)
    I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm going to end up even further in the closet than before.

2. lboll96

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really understand how you must feel in that situation. My grandmother and uncle are the same way. Whenever my family visits them, the conversation always drifts to the homosexuals, and how " they shouldn't flaunt it" and how "it's not right". It makes me feel really uncomfortable, and makes me change my mind about telling them about my girlfriend and I.

How does your more immediate family feel about homosexuality?

3. rena

my twin's okay with it, my mum isn't she's always saying how its bit normal and if one of her kids were gay she'd be disappointed and wonder what she did wrong. she makes it clear she wants lots of grandchildren (she Dosent think that children between a gay couple count). There are alot more LGBT characters portrayed on tv, that seems to piss her off because the comments come rolling out "we know there out there but we don't have to see it" "there on all the channels now it's like you can't get away from them" everyone's gay now it's a fashion" there the PG versions

4. lboll96

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My girlfriend's mom was the same way when my girlfriend came out. It's taken about 2 years, but her mom has finally gotten over herself.

Ultimately the choice is up to you. I know it's frustrating to have to hide part of yourself from people you love, and no matter what you decide to do, your safety should always come first. In my experiences, if your mom loves you like any parent should, she'll come to realize that you're the same person you were before, and she should be happy that you're happy.