1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugs, lies, and the past

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by maracont, Jul 30, 2013.

1. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    My mother has a long drug history. My father is very easily convinced to do things and is easily pushed around. There divorced, and I live with my grandparents who my mother also lives with. I go to my dads on weekends.
    Recently my dad has been very broke, and often my mom comes over late at night. I've recently found that they have both been doing drugs, and my "broke" father is the one PAYING for this. Im very close to my mom and dad, but they've been hiding this from me. My grandmother trusts me and considers me to be very mature, so she just told me all this. Im pissed, as you can imagine. In addition I was soon going to come out to my grandparents, but they don't need that with this going on.
    I feel as if I should be more mad, but somehow, since my grandma tells me a lot, I'm pretty calm about it. She actually asked me for advice.
    I don't need this I'm 13...

Anyway I just want some opinions and support. :icon_sad:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who are the parents and who are the children? These stories make me very sad, and grandparents have paid their dues, it's so unfair to lay this on them....

Both your parents need help, not punishment. But that's the way it is in the "War on Drugs" if you report them, it gets much worse. But they do need help.

I'm sure there are organizations in your area that can address this problem, is your grandmother willing and able to take on this challenge with you?

3. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Hmm.. This has been going on for years. My grandmother has been dealing with this since my mom was a teenager, and my parents divorced because of it. It is a good idea to find some external help. I need to talk to her about what were gonna do. Also my father is actually older than you, so I find it pathetic almost.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting about your dad's age, I'm not so surprised: it was the teenagers in the late sixties (before I was 10 years old) who really got into the drugs...

5. MathMan

hey maracont. you remind me or me. both of my parents have been on drugs since they were about your age. i think they divorced when i was about 9 or 10. I don't know much about advice, except i can tell you my take on my own parents. I always have looked at them as anti-parents. I look at them and i see what drugs, and a life of dishonesty can do for you. It makes me want to be a better person, and to have more than they have. i know my dads behavior really put a toll on my grandparents when they were alive as well.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 10:01 PM ----------

oh, and greatwhale, you are my dads age actually. he turned 53 in april

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not surprising either, my own generation has its share of druggies...it continues, only the drugs are different, and they seem harsher...

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drug use/abuse is a complicated issue that involves not only the addict, but the enabling of the family members as well. One of the reasons that addicts continue their behavior is because the family, usually unintentionally, enables and supports the addict in continuing their habits.

Only when the pain of the current circumstance overcomes the fear of change will the addict take action, and even then, only if the addict is genuinely ready to quit is treatment effective.

It really sucks, but many addicts simply choose drugs over their parents, children, friends, and everything else.

Depending on what health insurance and financial resources are available, a family intervention (with the help of a professional) and getting both parents into intensive treatment, ALONG WITH counseling for your grandparents and you, will be the best choice. If you need help with resources and suggestions, please feel free to PM me.