1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does by boyfriend seem so distant and cool

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by NewView78, Jul 31, 2013.

1. NewView78

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is the back ground in a nut shell… my BF and I have been dating for a little over 7 months. We’ve known each other for years, but only recently started dating. We fell in love pretty much from the start and he even gave up a promotion at work that would have taken him out of state (he recently got a much better promotion). Three months ago, he moved in with me as his old roommate was selling the place that they were living in.

Everything was great until about a month ago. We came back from a vacation, he immediately started his new job and he came down with a horrible cold. For two weeks he was really under the weather, tired, stressed out from the new job, and just not feeling well in general. I did what I could to make him feel better, but he really just wanted rest and take it easy which I completely understand. Also, he wasn’t his usual affectionate sell, which I also understand. I just chalked up his unaffectionate behavior to his cold and to the stress of starting a new job. However, even after he has gotten over his cold and adjusted to the new job, he still seems distant and unaffectionate.

Two important things to note, right as we started dating he said that he has trouble talking about his feelings and that one of his biggest concerns is the two of us smothering each other. We have had talks periodically about our relationship and our feelings, which I take as a positive because we are both trying to talk about how we feel. With regarding to not smothering each other, I try and be very cognizant of his need for alone time at the house, and to encourage him to feel free to go out with his friends or to make plans without me.

Maybe I am just being overly sensitive, which I can easily do, but several things have really started to concern me.

First, he just isn’t in to cuddling like he used too. It used to be that we would always cuddle and hold each other when we were watching TV either in bed or on the sofa. Now, unless I make the move the first, he won’t cuddle at all, or if he does it just sort of feels empty.

Second, on two recent occasions, I asked him if he wanted to go lie (i.e. cuddle) in bed and watch TV and on both occasions, he refused one time rather emphatically. On one of these occasions, we had just had sex, which confused me either further. He apologized the next day on the most recent occasion saying he wanted to make sure that I didn’t think it was because of me that he didn’t want to cuddle and that he just gets weird sometimes.

Finally, again I don’t know whether I am being too sensitive, but I am feeling a little neglected. I guess I am more on the romantic side and I love trying to surprise him, make dinner plans, etc. Recently however, I just get the sense he’s just not interested in doing couple things, or spending time alone with me, and I get the feeling that if I don’t specifically ask to spend time alone with him, we wouldn’t. Even when we have just recently, it just seems like something is missing.

My concerns are, are we growing apart or is this just a natural ebb and flow in the relationship? Also, how do I communicate my need to spend quality alone with him, while not being too clingy. And finally, how do I make him feel more comfortable talking about his feelings?

Please help, this is really weighing me down!

2. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so bad at figuring out how threads work....

"First, he just isn’t in to cuddling like he used too. It used to be that we would always cuddle and hold each other when we were watching TV either in bed or on the sofa. Now, unless I make the move the first, he won’t cuddle at all, or if he does it just sort of feels empty."

This is what you said and, unless I read it wrong, the only real indication of what he was like before his "change". How was he before? Was he as affectionate as you are? Expressive, etc?

3. BooksJeansTea

This is just an opinion. There are people on here much wiser than I.

There is a difference between withdrawing to think through something and withdrawing to the point that you're being inconsiderate of your partner. (I work through things in my head before communicating them too, so I understand his need to do this.). You seem to be very considerate and concerned with his needs but from what I am reading it does not seem that he is considerate of you. It sounds like this is new for your relationship though. You have taken a big step in moving in together and it may be part of the adjusting that you'll both have to do. He is going to have to communicate eventually to be in a relationship. I think that you'll need to be direct with him about communicating your needs without being argumentative or accusing him. "It's a big step moving in together so I thought we could have an open talk about what we need from each other and how we are doing so far.... I need to spend at least x amount of quality time with you". Use "I statements" so that it doesn't make him feel attacked. You deserve to be considered too. (*hug*)

4. NewView78

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Until recently, he was very affectionate overall. Whenever we'd sit down, he'd always want to be right next to me or to have me hold him. He would always want me to hold him at night before we'd go to sleep. He's sneak up behind me in the kitchen and hold me.

Now, all of this has come to a trickle, and if I didn't try to cuddle with him, I don't think he would at all.

He's told me that it's not me, and that he gets weird sometimes, but it's hard for me to not take it personally. He also won't say what "weird" is, or what he's thinking.

I concerns me that he has gone from hot to barely luke warm.

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2013 at 04:34 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice!

I definitely don't want to come across as demanding or accusatory, but I am starting to feel neglected.

It's been really bothering me over the past week. The funny thing is that he still gets really excited about our future plans. Its just right now when we're together he seems like is off somewhere else. I really wish he'd open up and tell me what he's thinking/feeling.

5. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The reason I asked is because the way my boyfriend is now is similar to how your boyfriend is now. My boyfriend is not the most expressive person... I am (at least in a romantic relationship).

When my boyfriend and I first started dating, I took his "emotional distance" very personally. I have a tendency to overanalyze things and would analyze every unanswered text, short response, etc to death... and somehow thought it was all because I did something wrong. Also, in the beginning, he was very hesitant to discuss anything personal or painful... The more we started getting to know each other, I figured out that's just how he is... a lot of stuff has happened in his life to make him this way and I understood his behavior more and more. So I just learned to be myself (let him be himself) and gradually, he came around and started opening up more and more. So here's my take:

You seem to be understanding... you say you guys talk... do you guys talk about this specifically? If not, I would suggest you both just sit down and not sugarcoat anything... just lay your feelings out there. I think you're justified to feel a little neglected... I would I would, but don't attack him. Just be sincere with how you feel, avoiding any "finger pointing" in the process.

Something else I would do (not saying it's right or wrong): just give him space/a dose of his own medicine. Treat him like he's treating you and see how he responds... depending on how he acts, you should have a clearer answer as to what he's feeling without having to prompt him for answers.

Understanding the way my boyfriend is has really helped me with not taking things personally... it was hard in the beginning, but it's really paid off now.

Hope this was clear and helps some.... GOOD LUCK!

6. BooksJeansTea

Estragon's post makes a lot of sense. He may not realize how far he is withdrawing and seeing you react to it in a different way than you have been may be good for him. If one method doesn't work, you might as well try something different, right? It can take something like that to snap me out of it when I really start to get that way sometimes.

I think it's wonderful that you care enough to really try to understand him and he is lucky to have you. It sounds like he probably knows that because he talks about the future (with you in it!). You just need to learn how to balance the communication in a way that you can both live with.

Keep us updated! and Best of Luck!

7. NewView78

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! We had a really crazy Friday evening / Saturday morning.

It started with him coming home earlier and walking in on me jerking off. He didn't seem put off by this at first. But later, when we had people over for dinner he was especially distant. To the point where one of my friends pulled me aside and asked. Of course with three of our friends over we couldn't talk about anything, although I mentioned it briefly when we were alone and he said everything was fine.

So the evening goes on, I get more upset (quietly) and he gets more distant. Finally, people leave and I sit down and talk to him. He tells me that everything is fine, he just needs space and that I am being needy. I tell him that I need to spend time with him and that I am afraid that we'll just turn into roommates. He responds that we spend a lot of time together and he is confused. We don't really come to any conclusions or next steps and I go upstairs and go to sleep.

I roll over in the middle of the night 3:40AM and notice that he's not in bed which concerns me, so I got down stairs and find that he had invited one of my oldest (straight) friends over and that they have been partying. This was really weird to me as he doesn't know this guy very well. Anyway, I stay downstairs until 4 and then go up to bed. He follows me up and falls asleep in my arms.

I can't sleep, and I have to go to work the next morning, so I wake up and leave the house 3 hours before I have to be at work. While I'm having breakfast he texts me, asks if everything is okay etc. I call him before work and tell him that it really made me feel weird that he had invited my friend over while I was asleep. He said that he didn't really understand why but okay. We both basically agreed that we were going through a bit of rough spot and that we'd talk later.

At lunch I texted him and texted back. All sort of light hearted chit chat. Then he mentioned that maybe we should spice things up a little and have someone watch us have sex. Maybe a threesome. This piqued my interest, so we texted back and forth and said that we'd explore this option, so long as we did it together and were both comfortable with it. The thing that turned me on the most was that he felt comfortable talking to me about his as he is usually very reserved.

When I got home, we had really passionate sex which was amazing. Afterwards, we went down stairs and talked for hours. He did mention that Friday evening, he had basically been sexting with the friend of mine who had been over for dinner that evening and pulled me aside and asked if everything was okay. The fact that he was sexting didn't bother me that much since he told me about it, and he had had a lot to drink. Also, I had done the same thing about a month ago which he is also aware of. The thing that really bothered me was that my "friend" was doing that with him while he knew that we were having some problems.

We also talked about having a third person there to either watch or join in, and we talked about what had happened the previous night. I finally found the words to tell him that I will give him space, but in return I need the occasional romantic dinner for two. All - in - all, it was a really great talk and went to sleep feeling that we had a breakthrough of sorts.

So now the questions...

1.) Should we try and have someone there to watch us and/or join in?
    2.) What should I do with the "friend" that was sexting with my BF?

8. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok... I just want to make sure I understand everything:

Is the friend who he had been sexting with (the one who pulled you aside to see how you were) the same friend who he had been "partying" with? I get the impression that they're not the same person, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Also, when you sat and talked for hours (after the passionate sex), was that after "he had had a lot to drink"? My impression is "yes".

Based on these two assumptions, here's what I think.

Question 1: I think that's only something you can answer... do you want to have a third person watch or join you? Boyfriend aside, if it's something that you're into or at least interested in trying, then go ahead and act accordingly. However, if it's something that you're not super comfortable with and are feeling even the slightest amount of pressure to do just because you want your boyfriend to be happy, then maybe it's something to discuss with your boyfriend... again, just my 2 cents.

Question 2: Here's what I'm not getting... so he was sexting with your "straight" friend? If so... that would beg so many explanations... for the sake of brevity, let's assume that I'm wrong. Straight aside - that's just shady behavior, in my opinion. The friend asks if everything is ok between you and your boyfriend all the while, he's sexting with him... maybe I'm just old fashioned, I dunno... I can't wrap my head around this. Personally, I think both your BF and your friend are equally at fault. Just the way you phrased your question tells me that you're placing most, if not all, of the blame on your friend and that somehow your friend is the issue. Personally, I would confront both people. The fact that your friend was doing this shady behavior and then asks if everything is OK between the two of you just doesn't sit right with me... Also, the fact that your boyfriend was doing this previously without telling you tells me that there's something that's missing in your relationship... and the fact (based on my assumption) that he told you this after he had a lot to drink also tells me that he needs to drink to be honest. Based on my personal experience, people like this are shady shady shady (not saying that's the case with your BF, just going by what I know and have lived). Personally speaking, I'm just getting bad vibes from this situation and feel like there's more than meets the eye...

Wishing you the best of luck with all of this!!!!

9. NewView78

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The one he was sexting was a gay friend of mine who had been over earlier that evening for dinner and had asked if everything was okay between us.

The guy he invited over is a very old friend of mine, who is straight, that my boyfriend doesn't really know very well. This guy is a bit of a party animal.

The reason I am more apt to let the boy friend off the hook, is that I had done the same thing with someone else once before when I had bit too much to drink, and my BF knows about it. Plus, my BF told me about this as soon as we talked. Not cool, for either of us I know.

My BF and I spoke about all of this the next day when he was sober.

The whole thing of him inviting my old friend, that he doesn't know well, over to party when I'm sleeping was still very weird to me.

10. Estragon84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah.... ok.... makes more sense. See... I think the friend over to party isn't as weird as your gay sexting friend. Granted, it's weird that he'd invite someone he doesn't know all that well over to party... too much weird for me. Maybe you should talk to your friend about it, in very general terms, and see what he says before making any conclusions...