1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid no one will take me seriously...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lastofourkind, Jul 31, 2013.

1. lastofourkind

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I recently came out to my sister, girlfriend and doctor as Transgender (FTM) however I am absolutely terrified to come out to my parents and my brother for all of the normal reasons of how they will react and how upset my mom will be to "lose her little girl" and how my dad will react when he has always treated my special because I was his daughter. The other problem is that 3 years ago my sister came out as transgendered and is now living as a female full time. I am extremely nervous that they will think I am copying her, or just think that I am in doubt of my gender now because of her. I am scared they wont believe they have two trans kids. I also feel horrible telling my mom because she refuses to accept my sister and now she has to deal with me too. My sister has had her name changed for 2 years and has been on Estrogen for at least 1 year and my mom still calls her by her birth name and I don't want to be on T and getting facial hair and trying to pass and my mom calling me her daughter. It sucks knowing exactly how she will react in that sense because it's almost like coming out to her will do absolutely nothing. I have been binding for weeks, dressing in mens clothing for years and had short (mens) hair for years, however I also know that I have to tell her in order to continue with my transition. I can't change my name and get on T and just never tell her. I guess I am just trying to avoid the inevitable because I will feel a million times worse when she calls me a girl and my birth name when she actually knows that I am trans because I can't be mad about it when she doesn't even know. I am pretty sure my mom will just think I am taking this whole "tom boy" thing too far. I think she thinks that we should just feel different inside and keep our outsides the same, like we are being too overdramatic in thinking we need to change so much on the outside just to feel comfortable inside. I just wish she would understand and believe me when I tell her that I am not her "little girl" and I never have been.

I don't really know what type of advice I am looking for.. I guess just any help on coming out to your parents as well as convincing them that you are serious when you have a trans sister too? idk.
    Thanks in advance for any help!