1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Gay friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Str8guy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Str8guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey guys me again apologise in advance if anything offends. So my friend recently came out as you may know. Im in the process of accepting his new found sexuality in fact I commend him for his bravery to tell me of all people.

However I'm not sure how to react about it all. He mentioned fear of excommunication from his faith, family disowning him not sure what advice I can provide when it's guaranteed his family won't accept his orientation.

Secondly he then started to go through the ins and outs of homosexuality...his fantasies his favourite positions things like that, yet he knows this is the kind of talk that scares and disgusts me. I'm sure you'd feel the same if someone suddenly stated talking so intimately to you.

All I want is to keep the same friendship, still enjoy the coffees, thr football games, the Xbox sessions yet he really seems consumed by his newfound lifestyle. Every conversation revolves around his sexuality. I don't go around telling him stories about girls, flirting things like that... I respect him

Any advice as to how I can manage the situation? If I'm struggling now I can't even begin to imagine how the rest of our friends and his family will cope...,

2. LinkLarkin

Give hime time. Coming out is a huge leap; it's liberating, it's relieving, it causes many people to have a mini-sexual revolution. I came out to my close friends a couple of months ago, and at first it was all I wanted to talk about because I'd been denying myself the opportunity to talk about it for so long. Now that it's been a while and I've calmed down, I'm over it. Just embrace the fact that your friend trusts you enough to tell you, acknowledge how hard it was for him to do and how excited he must be to have finally got it off his chest, and then give him some time to get his head around the fact that he's no longer keeping this huge secret, and eventually he'll settle down and allow his sexuality to become just another part of his life.

Another word of warning, because you're implying you want absolutely nothing to change: don't try and repress his sexuality. I see people on here all the time saying how upset they are that their friends act as though they've forgotten that they came out. I realise that you're cool with him being gay and wouldn't mean offence if you didn't act like anything changed, but even so it can sting if you refuse to acknowledge it at all.

I hope this helps! Let us know how it goes (*hug*)

3. Str8guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As much as I feel his newfound identity is "wrong" "unholy" whatever you want to call it for the sake of friendship I'm refusing to let my emotions get in the way. Do you think I should ever (now or in future) let him know how I really feel? Or will that ruin everything? Most people who come out know the other person probably feels that way anyway... I'm not here to cause trouble or lose friendships...I'm here to be there for him...

4. LinkLarkin

Do you mean that you think his sexuality is wrong or just how he's expressing it? If it's the former, then it will upset him and probably a lot of his and your other friends by telling him that. If it's really going to come between you then you should probably try and reduce your friendship before either one of you gets hurt.

If you're just uncomfortable with the things he's talking to you about, then like I said just give him a couple of weeks to calm down from the shock of coming out and things should settle back down to normal. If not, then you're within your rights to (politely) tell you that he's making you uncomfortable and ask him not to talk to you about it quite as much.

You shouldn't try to stop him being himself though. He is still his own person, not just somebody to please you, and the coming out process is going to change him. Sometimes it's subtle, for other people it's more obvious. Like I said, coming out can cause a revolution in people's lives, so he's probably still trying to find himself. Just be patient with him for now and let him know he has your support.

5. Str8guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Fortunately it's the latter... But for his other friends and family whom so openly oppose homosexuality this will prove more challenging as in his church openly condones and excommunicates all who are found to be LGBT and he's already thinking about how to react to his parents future anguish...

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is me speaking on a personal level, when I was in the Closet, I had know one to talk to about my feelings about being Gay, this is what was killing me inside, I was living a lie & I was not able to be myself, when I finally came out to a Friend, for the 1st time in y life I was able to be me & talk about my hopes, my Fears & my Aspirations about being Gay :newcolor:

There is to ways to preach religion, the right way & the wrong way, the right way tells Christians that God & Jesus are loving & Non-Judgmental (Atheist cover your ears up & look the other way) :grin:
    They are told that God & Jesus loves everyone & we are all created in Gods Image, that nobody is perfect & we are all sinners.

Now you have the wrong way to preach religion, these preachers interpret the Bible how they what to interpret it, these are known as the Fire & Brimstone Preachers, these are the ones who use the Bible to spread hatred, their day on Judgment Day will come :eusa_naug
    They tell people that Homosexuals are sinners & that they are bad people for loving someone of the same sex, they banish them from the House of God, even though the doors of any type of Church should be open to everyone!

What your Friend now needs is your support, being Gay is part of who he is, being Gay is not a choice, his God made him that way, if you had a friend that was Straight, would you tell him he can't talk to you about his Girlfriend, in order to be his Friend, you have to accept he is Gay & move on, otherwise, let him go!

7. MichaelB

You mean like most straight guys talk about girls?

He's recently come to accept his identity. Of course he wants to talk about it, in the same way if you found out something new and exciting about yourself, you'd want to talk about it loads even if it did bore other people.

He'll grow out of it eventually as it transgresses from 'new' to just another contextual factor of himself. But I must reiterate, we live in a very heterosexual society and LGBT people have to constantly endure heterosexuality being forced onto us. Hopefully this experience enlightens you and makes you more compassionate; just as you hate hearing about his homosexuality, many gay people hate hearing about straight guys bashing pussy or what ever.

I personally think all sexual talk should be toned down just because I'm a private person and firmly believe that sex should only be spoken between the two (or more) people. But ye, I constantly hear from my straight male friends, and even sometimes my straight female friends, about how they fuck pussy and what positions they like and how easy it was for them to get laid and whatever else they fancy, which makes me just as awkward as you probably feel, but if I say anything I'm imposing on their freedom of speech or whatever (which, to be fair, they would have a point. So I usually sit there silently and awkwardly, while holding back the gags, lol). Your gay friend is really just doing the exact same thing as what every other normal bloke seems to do.

#7 MichaelB, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. Bear101

The way I see it is this. You need to figure out what your boundaries are and then talk to him about those boundaries. It's okay to say, "You know John, I really admire the fact that you were able to come out to me and I want to support you as much as possible. However, I'm highly uncomfortable talking about gay sexual positions, etc. Is it possible that we can talk about your gayness without talking about the sexual part of it? I'd love to hear about your boyfriend and know when you go out on a date. But the sexual part is just hard for me."

Then again, I'm known for being super blunt too.

ymmv.

9. Str8guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The thing is we were always rather conservative. We didn't go out to bars, talk about girls things like that. Even at a friends bucks night it was actually more civilised conversation rather than drunk talk and ogling at the women... So it really surprised me when he was rather "vocal" about his homosexuality this week....

10. Dalmatian

Even if you did grow up in a conservative surroundings, when it comes to sexuality, there's a huge difference between the two of you. You are free to show interest or to comment or to ogle. Maybe it's not what you'd do, but it's your choice. You can if you want to. He never experienced such freedom. Coming out to you wasn't just a sign of his trust (which it is) but more importantly, a sign that he couldn't take it anymore. Now he feels more free than he ever felt. With you, he can throw away the mask.
    After years of being closeted, really, after coming out it's all you can think of. Others have said the same already, but I'll add my own experience; when I first came out, every other topic, no matter what it was, was pale and boring to death in comparison. I was lucky to have, at that time, a friend who never showed any sign of disinterest; on the contrary and to my eternal gratitude, he very often raised the topic himself.

All that aside, you are allowed to tell him you don't feel comfortable. Just be honest. You seem to care for him and you are basically ok with homosexuality, but you are battling against your learned homophobia. That's ok, really, because he does as well. Be clear about being a friend and accepting him fully. Be clear that your homophobia will not change anything and that you will work on it (as you already plan, so this is nothing new). Other than that, you can't really do much wrong. Just be a friend.

As far as topics of conversation go, ok, that will probably not change with him for some time, but eventually it will.

Also, you seem to be a great friend. Kudos to you for that.

11. AAASAS

Don't take on his problems. Just offer support.

Tell him it isn't appropriate for him to be talking explicitly about sex with him, that should be known anyways.

12. Hefiel

Well there's nothing preventing you from telling him that you'd prefer to talk less about sex in general, or that it bothers you slightly.

As others have said though, it should settle down eventually. For the sake of comparison, I'd compare a person in the closet to someone just continuously piling up stuff in his closet. Eventually you reach a point where there's just no more room in the closet, and when you finally open the door, everything falls out of the closet.

Coming out is exactly the same thing, the person pretty much stash/repress all his feelings into his or her closet for years, until the closet can't hold it anymore and he has to open the doors (coming out to other people). That tends to pretty much set everything that had built up in the closet out in the wild. Once everything has gone out of the closet, well it's time to pick all the stuff on the floor and start putting things in order. For people coming out of the closet, this usually translates to integrating their sexuality as simply part of themselves, whereas everything revolves around their sexuality after coming out.

13. blueberrymuffin

Coming out is often followed by a craving to be as open as possible. He's been hiding this for years probably. I'm sure he doesn't intend to 'disgust' you, but does he have any other outlet? You hint that he has not told others. He's going to discover the proper balance in time. I'm sure he'll want to be friends still, but will likely spend time with other gay guys too, then he'll probably stop leaning on you so heavily. For you the goal might be X box and coffee, but for him facing almost certain rejection, he has other concerns for the time being.

If you are supportive, that will lead to the best outcome for you both. Especially if things go badly with others, it's really important to just assure him that you will be there still. You have a right to set limits on the sex position talk, but try to not lash out just because he talks about being gay. That would send signals that you're probably not ok with his sexuality period, and that would not end well.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can politely tell him if you think the things he shares are too personal or uncomfortable. He has had a lot of time to deal with his sexuality before coming out, so he may not realize others (especially straight people) have not thought about it nearly as much.