1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Friend Keeps Flirting

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by spockbach, Aug 1, 2013.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Does anyone have a friend who knows you're bi or gay and just won't stop flirting with you, even though he or she a) is very clear about his or her own sexual orientation or b) is in a healthy heterosexual relationship? I have one friend who is perfectly aware of my strong feelings for her, and she keeps making light of it, telling me things like, "You have such sultry brown eyes," and "Please do!" when I jokingly say, "Oh, screw you!" It really hurts. Has anyone else had to face this?

2. Hrantou

I had a friend in high school like that. He knew that I basically loved him but he was as straight as can be and made that clear, but he always flirted and made it harder. He always told me that he loved me (like some friends do), he loved to hug, sometimes he would look at me and just smile, and pretended to hold hands...I mean needless to say it didn't end well, but what do you expect? Don't flirt with me if you know I like you and can't return the feelings! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My advice: Put some distance between you two. Maybe hang out with some other friends or do something else like a sport or club without them. You might meet new people and break away from the aches and pains of that friend who won't stop flirting :slight_smile:

3. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not a bad idea! And you're right, it's such a cruel thing to do, even if the other person isn't exactly intending to be cruel. Thanks. :slight_smile:

4. lukeluvznicki13

one of my friend's at school doesn't realise that I am bi but he does flirt with me jokingly and sometimes i take it seriously o.e

5. igoloo2946

Some people don't know how to act around their friend when they find out their gay. She might be acting this way so she can feel more comfortable around you, she might not know that she's making you uncomfortable at the same time. Just try to talk with her about this.

6. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    You could tell her to not do that and explain her why.

7. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The thing is, this girl has always had a tendency to tease me, and I've taken it in a way that's helped me both toughen up and accept her for both her wonderful attributes and her faults. I love her, and a few years ago I found that I had very strong feelings for her. It seems this is just another appendage of her tendency to quasi-bully. I love her, but I do know how she can be.

8. jupiter2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Spockbach
    Whoah, your story seems like mine- my friend knows how I feel about him, flirts, teases, tendency to bully, while making it clear he's straight & in a straight relationship. I'm glad you've taken something positive from this difficult situation, toughening up and learning, but gosh I know how hard it can be when they play you like this. My situation is complicated by a) we're colleagues at work, and B) he's doing his best to out me too, which is just hostile. I can't figure him, (or I'd give you some better advice) and I don't know that you will really figure this girl. I thought this guy was a one-off, but having read your post, I'm wondering if this is some kind of personality type. I think Hrantou's advice is good, get some distance between you and be more with people who give themselves honestly.