1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smothered in gayness?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MichaelB, Aug 1, 2013.

1. MichaelB

I'm having some friendship issues that I don't feel like I can ask real life friends about, so here's hoping EC can help!

I have a friend who I've known for 3 years, and we've been moderately close the entire time. We fluctuate between friends, to close friends, to living in each others pockets, to being just friends again. And recently she came out as a lesbian, which was of no real surprise.

I of course, tried to be there for her every step of the way. And we bonded through it all; we're now the only LGBT people in our 'main' friends group. And I thought it would be nice to have a fellow LGBT person that I see on a regular basis to talk about things that would make other people awkward.

But truthfully I feel entirely smothered by her and by being bisexual. Everytime I see her, the conversation nearly always ends up going back to homosexuality in some way, and it's getting really tiring. I don't even know why, I suppose it's like discussing endlessly about a game that you've played to death. All the conversations I have with her, I've already had with myself countless times. And I feel like it's started to isolate us from the rest of our friends; in a big group, she'd be like 'yo michael, did you hear about x homosexual thing recently?' (who knew there was that much LGBT news to talk about, lol), and the rest of our friends (who are not homophobic) sit there awkwardly while she begins to talk about something that seems rather exclusive.

It feels like she's constantly reminding myself and everyone I know that we're different, and instead of me being comfortable about being bisexual and just being an 'average' guy, it's making me feel like anything but average. It feels almost like a quasi form of homophobia; it's like I'm being segregated away from my straight friends because I'm part of a different community.

And this all came to a head when we were discussing our local gay pride event. Of course, she's extremely excited (it's on August 3rd, and she's been talking about it since May easily) and I was too. But she turned 18 this week and lost her ID the very same night, and truthfully it killed the event for me. I was mostly excited about heading to gay clubs/bars and not the actual parade bit, so if she has no ID my main excitement is gone and truthfully I don't wanna go (costs quite abit to get there, the day events don't sound too good etc etc). And what's worse, my straight friend is having a house warming party on the same day, so I said something like

'I'm really sorry, but unless you can find your ID before Saturday, I'm gunna go to x's house party instead D:'

on facebook, and she lost it. Absolutely lost it. She was claiming I was homophobic (da faq?), that I was never there for her and I only ever wanted to talk to her on my terms and how I've taken the one event she was looking forward to. I thought it was a reasonable thing to say, no? If she finds her ID, great! We'll go to pride (which, by the way, I was really excited about as well). If not, then sorry but I'd rather go to my friends house party. Is that really an out of order thing to say? Especially since it's her own fault that she lost her ID, so without sounding like a dick, she ruined the event for me in the first place lol.

So really, main problems being

- Our homosexuality feels very smothering and domineering, and excluding other friends.
    - I will admit that I'm not entirely comfortable with my orientation yet, and while I'm out, I like to feel 'normal'. I *like* that I'm not treated like 'the gay one' (sorry if that's offensive?) and I feel like her constantly talking about me being bisexual is ruining that.
    - Is it really wrong to say that I don't wanna go to a party event unless I can drink? ¬_¬

and lastly, I feel like she's actually competitive on who's the best gay. It's hard to describe, but during the argument she was like 'pride means more to me than it does to you', and there's always an underlying theme of almost resentment from her to me. I feel like she thinks I should be more open and proud as her, when truthfully me being bisexual just isn't a big deal to me. I mean, it is a big deal, but it isn't the main deal about me. I get the vibe she wants me to walk around in a t-shirt with 'BISEXUAL' in caps on, and it's exhausting because I just don't want to be that way. I respect her and admire that she does want to be like that, but I'd rather just be an average guy who happens to be bisexual rather than my entire personal identity be consumed by my sexual orientation.

So I dunno what to do. I'm at the point where I might just cut her out of my life and just be civil with her when I see her, and ignore her on facebook/twitter/texts etc...

2. chartreuse

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think she just is trying to reach out to another similar person. I don't think she is trying to make you feel angry at her. She probably just wants to relate to another lgbt person, especially if you don't have many people out yet.