1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having some troubles

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JakeHas, Aug 2, 2013.

1. JakeHas

So I don't know if this fits in this forum but it seemed to fit best. So, I have a friend that is going through some depression and even suicidal thoughts. I've stayed up countless hours into the AM hours trying to cheer her back up when she is depressed. I can usually get the job done for that night, but only that night. She'll end up the same way later on. This has been a repeating event for almost a year now.
    I'm also going through some issues myself. I'm trying to come to terms with my sexuality and trying to get people to understand me, and I think my mother just doesn't want to believe it when I tried telling her. So that is stressing me out too.
    I have too many burdens to carry right now and each day it gets heavier and heavier on my shoulders. Right now I am actually in tears right now because I don't know what to do. I'm running out of ways to help my friend, I can't understand my own life, and it just causes too much stress for me. I'm not professional, I can't keep giving her false hope that everything is going to be alright when I'm not sure of it about myself. I bottle this up. If you were to meet me in real life, I'm outgoing, fun, and a leader. I stride to succeed and I will do my absolute best to help others succeed, when really inside, I'm stuck.
    I just need some help, right now I am litterally wiping tears from my eyes while typing this. I don't know what to do. She is convinced her life isn't worth it, and I can't seem to grasp any form of relief wherever I go. What should I do. What can I do? :icon_sad:

#1 JakeHas, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. LD579

You can't keep helping her at the detriment to yourself, unfortunately. Could you get her to look into either therapy at school from a school counsellor or professionally? It might not be a bad idea for you to look into that, either. I understand where you're coming from. In the end, though, it may be best for you both to get some help from others who are more used to dealing with these kinds of things. I wish you both the best =)

3. JakeHas

Thank you for the reply, I have tried to get her to talk to someone, she just wont and says that they wont understand her. Now, there are breaks when she isn't depressed and everything and I am able to kinda get things in line with myself, so truly I don't believe I need much help actually (yet, of course this could change), it's just having to deal with that big of an issue when I have ones of my own that halts my progress.

4. Deranged06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi jakehas,

One of the reasons why people refuse to seek a therapist or councilor is because of the stigma that is attached to it. Even though she's ok now it doesn't mean she'll be ok later... For future reference:
    USA NATIONAL Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On... Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com - Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.
    This way she can remain anonymous, if one on one makes her uncomfortable. You are a good friend jake for having such a compassion to your friend but you can only do so much... Hope this helps.

5. JakeHas

I appreciate it so much, I will try to talk to her about it, thanks!

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are as lovely person for putting your friend first, BUT you have to draw the line in the sand and put yourself first for now.

Your friend is the only person that can help herself and you can only let her know that you are her friend and you will be there, but you can't be by her side all the time as she will become dependant on you and then less likely to reach out for help.

Have you heard the phrase 'Cruel to be kind'?

You need to take that to heart, you need to force her to look for help, be it counselling, be it a youth self help group.

You can't go on being her 24 hour carer, you are so lovely and I know you want to, but you can not do these things when you help and support yourself.

focus on you mate :wink:

all the best