1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simpsons clip- trapped in a closet!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mystory, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys, this isn't a problem or anything personal- but I found this clip from the Simpsons to be highly entertaining.

check this clip out: Simpsons Shorts-The Closet - YouTube

ANALYSIS: I was perusing the youtubes the other day and found this highly pertinent clip from the Simpsons back in the late 80s/90s. Although any similarities with any of our situations are purely coincidental, and that it probably wasn't their intention to make such a reflective commentary upon the closeted life, I found this clip highly similar to many of our situations. For example, feeling trapped like a "rat" inside a closet, firstly seeking refuge and a safe haven within the closet- only to have this sense of security subverted into a panic-stricken cry for help. The way in which Bart asks Maggie for help- but almost whispers it- is also reflectively poignant in the sense that we crave recognition and acceptance- but may only attain such from the contradiction of the closet which serves both as something conciliatory and as a means of stifling our inner liberties. At the end, when Bart finally gets out of the closet (note how he escapes only once there is no one around)- only to be greeted with lost opportunity, embodies in essence the whole sub forum of "LGBT later in life".

Excuse my little tangent- but i just couldn't help it when I saw the clip.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2013 at 05:10 AM ----------

Also "do what I do if I were in your place"-> be indifferent/unconcerned- in other words, watch T.V- ignore the pleas for help- continue with the viscissitudes of monotonous life: truly a poignant commentary upon contemporary society

"I give up, i'll do chores"-> the inevitable reluctance of all gays to 'come-out' of the closet. The liberation from the closet isn't seen as something empowering or forthright in the betterment of one's humanity- but rather it is seen as an act of defeat- an inability to acquiesce, or meet the expectations of the family in the clever metaphor of "chores". As if conformality to society's demands is seen as a laborious job, a task which must be dealt with.

As I said- I am only using this video in order to draw parallels with closeted life- i am by no means stating that the video had some form of a subliminal message/hidden trope.

#1 Mystory, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013