1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-but...he's a freshman

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So band camp started today and it's well...interesting. I absolutely hate band camp but I always find it fun to check out the newbies and one in my section has caught my eye.

His name's Dan and he's one of the new freshman trumpets. I really wanna get to know him so I actually was really excited for band camp. So here's the deal: in the drill I'm T-49 and he's T-50 so we get to be near each other and he has to come to me for everything. He's really social and likes to joke around a lot but I'm failing to find anything we really have in common.

We have a slight situation though...he's playing football...which means he misses some of band camp each day, the exact times I forget. This is quite a problem though...since he can't march worth shit. What I'm honestly hoping is that our and director gives me a little extra marching time during the school year but who knows.

Do you guys have any advice for me? I've got only eight days (with most of the time in the morning where we could 'bond' he would probably have football) to actually become friends with this kid!

2. JakeHas

Speaking as a Freshman in band camp this year, you should just start talking to him and giving him tips and advice. It certainly isn't fun being in a high school band as a freshman, new to all of it. All I wanted was some people to help me when it was needed so I don't make myself look like a fool. Just ask if he needs help, maybe point out some flaws and give tips. They are small steps but they can definitely help if you want to befriend him. Remember, you having already been in high school definitely helps, he looks up to you, trust me.
    Best of luck!

3. ZebraJynx121

Oh I loved bandcamp! So many bonds... Anyway, you should be nice and friendly with him. It will certainly ease him knowing his upperclassmen are kind and care for their under underclassmen. You should also start some more friendly conversations to find out even more about him. You never know!

4. dndg

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just finished band camp a few days ago as an incoming freshman and I was confused as HECKK, so one of my section leaders gave me some tips and showed me what to look like and do and stuff.. So maybe u should just give some helpful tips on how to do things better, and be there if he has any questions :slight_smile:

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is like today I had to go get fitted for my uniform so I missed a half an hour of drill and in that time we learned this weird flip-flop thing and of course I couldn't help Dan because I had no clue what I was doing.

Another problem is that I'm overly critical when it comes to underclassmen and marching. I can't give Dan tips without being my overly critical self and sounding like a douche. He marches wrong and not on time and etc. I understand it's first day but...yeah.

Me and my sophomore trumpets (because the other two juniors are not well liked by the sophomores) are trying to help him and some of the other freshmen out by telling them who to and to not befriend.

Good news: I found out his name from our section leader's clipboard so I friend requested him and he accepted.

6. ZebraJynx121

When you're helping him out you should probably tell him that you don't mean to sound like a jerk and are only trying to help. I've been in this kinda situation from his stance and it can feel scary and/or upsetting.

7. tryhtwfr

I think I may know Dan.

8. robclem21

I am confused why you want to befriend this guy so badly? You said you have almost nothing in common but you seem to have some sort of "need" to become super great friends with this guy.

Why are you trying to force a friendship?
    Is he gay and you want a relationship?

You never said you have a crush on him and there was never much of a question asked here so maybe I just don't really understand what answers you are trying to get here and why.

9. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And does this Dan you know happen to live in central Pennsylvania?

I've realized this year that all of my band camp friends from last year are all gone, they were all seniors. I'm friends with some of this year's seniors but not many so I figured why not befriend the freshmen that are going to be taking over my section? I did learn something though, we share the same hatred for marching and playing.

I'm not trying to force a friendship but I want to form one with him. To my knowledge he's not gay and I'm not really sure if I want relationship with him or not.

Now whether I have a crush on him or not is up for debate. He's attractive, plays football and baseball (I like sporty guys), he's funny, he looks up to me...however I have my eyes on another guy at work so...I don't know.

I really just want to know the easiest way to befriend him, however after today things are starting to look good.