1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get my mom to accept me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BlueEyedPride, Aug 6, 2013.

1. BlueEyedPride

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I came out to my mom back in April, not because I was ready, but because I figured that, since everyone at school knew because of a really bad friend, she was going to find out sooner or later. I also took into consideration that the longer I waited, the harder it was going to be.
    When I told her, she said it was okay but there were tears in her eyes. She even surprised me when she said she had suspected it. Then she told me not to tell any neighbors or family members because it was embarrassing and it reflected negatively on her, but the very next day she went and told my grandparents right before their big 50th anniversary celebration. Way to go, Mom.
    She started making jokes about it so I thought maybe she was starting to come around, but she also started getting really paranoid about what I was doing on the internet. One night, I was watching an old episode of South of Nowhere and she snatched the ipad out of my hands and was like, "Oh, so you're watching a lesbian thing. You know, that's probably why you're gay." she basically went on to tell me that I had turned myself gay and brainwashed myself to be different. I told her that didn't make any sense because no one would deliberately choose a harder life. She just laughed in my face and left the room. I basically bawled my eyes out.
    Lately she's been making some jokes again here and there so I thought maybe she was starting to accept it, but she recently asked me, "Are you still gay?" :bang: She might as well have just punched me in the stomach--it would have hurt less. Every time I feel like we're making progress, something ugly happens and we're right back to the beginning. What can I do to ease her into accepting who I am?

2. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Just let her take time to accept it and its upto u how much time is allowed ,if she doesn't match up to ur expectations . Then simply cut her out of ur life but do what u want to do

3. Batman is swag

I am so, so sorry at how she's reacting. I really don't know what to say besides that I'm here and I care.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For anyone processing any sort of loss, there are 5 stages... denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. (In this case, the loss is her perception of you as straight.)

So the angry "This is what made you gay" is an example of the anger, and the "are you still gay" is an example of the bargaining phase.

I'd say she's working through it. It takes time. For some people it's 5 minutes, and for some it's 6 months or longer. But it seems like there's progress.

5. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mum said the same thing about having been "brainwashed" by the media etc. and honestly, it's because she doesn't understand. Something that might help is to sit down and talk to her about how you feel, or if that is too difficult (which is understandable), you could write her a letter explaining everything and helping her to understand.

On the other hand, you could just wait for her to come around. Like Chip said, people take different amounts of time to process and accept things, and although it may take a long time with your mum, she's probably giving it a lot of thought and one day she'll accept you. After all, she is your mum and she does love you, and one day she'll realise that you being gay can't be changed. Patience :slight_smile:

6. GayNerd

You should tell your Mom that the reason you are a Lesbian is because you want to live life happy, and living life happy means being a Lesbian. This is the way you choose to live. Nothing will change your Sexuality. Also tell your Mom that you want her to accept you.

I hope this helps.

7. My mom had the same reaction at first...but 4 years later she's come full circle and accepted it. I hope it doesn't take you as long, but there's not much you can do other than confront her. Tell her that this is not a choice, and that you were born a lesbian. Make sure she understands that you don't need or want to change because you're happy with who you are. Tell her you love her and would like for her to accept this, and make sure she knows you're still the same daughter she's always had. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

8. BiPenguin

Sorry to hear mate. Just give her time. If she decides to cause grief in your life for it, you will have to cut yourself off and live your life. My wife had to cut herself off from all of her relatives as they were rather evil to her.

9. livinglifefree

I am sorry to hear about your experience. My mom and dad both told me that they thought they might have "done something wrong" to make me gay so I definitely feel your pain. My parents are fully supportive now, but still say a few insensitive things from time to time. Parents mainly react like that because of a combination of ignorance and fear. You have to keep in mind that she doesn't know what it is like to be gay. There may be a few things that you have to explain to her. For example, you should probably talk to her and explain that you were born this way and nothing is wrong with you. You were just made to love a certain set of people the same way that she was and that your sexual identity will not change. She is probably afraid for the life you will live and the hatred you will inevitably have to face, which is why she reacted negatively. Most parents want a good life for their kids and being gay is just a harder life to live with many more logistical and emotional issues. I don't agree with the people that suggested cutting her out of your life. She is your mom no matter what and I don't think that is the answer. You really just need to have a serious conversation with her about your feelings and about her hurtful comments. More than likely you will have to have more than one of these conversations with her, but it is worth it to have her in your corner. You have to stay strong no matter what her reaction is though and know that you were made perfectly the way that you are.