1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Grandma doesn't like me anymore...?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SpecialBrownies, Aug 7, 2013.

1. SpecialBrownies

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Allow me to fully introduce myself, before I begin. ^_^
    My name is Emma, but you can call me Brownie. I'm 14 years of age, and I am completely, 110%, beyond a single shadow of a doubt, super-duper gay. I've already told my friends, and they completely accept me, which I'm more thankful for than I think I can fully understand.
    However, I've only just started coming out to my family- more specifically, my mother's side of the family. I guess I would describe them as traditional, whereas my father's side of the family is more liberal and accepting of my gayness- especially my grandparents, Auntie, and Uncle.
    Well, next to nobody on my Grandma's side knows yet. When I told my Grandmother, who I have always had a wonderful relationship with, she started saying things like, 'Well, it's certainly a... Harder way of life,' and asking me if I was sure. And now she asks me if I'm okay all the time, like being gay makes Nazi Ninja Dinosaurs descend upon you around every turn. She seems really uncomfortable in general around me now, and it's depressing me. How do I get my Grandma back? :confused:

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can tell you Emma is you're going to have to be patient.. You said it yourself, you only just started coming out to your family and for some people, it takes time. Especially with people's grandparents because they grew up in a time when being gay was not accepted nor understood, it was even considered a mental illness at the time and they lived through the AIDS crisis and heard what the media was often peddling "the gay disease". I realize you want your grandmother back but, you're just going to have to be patient. If she asks you if you're okay, reassure her you are and you're still the same person. That's really all I can suggest. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but I'm glad your grandmother is still at least talking to you, not all kids get that chance.

3. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

I totally agree with Revan, time is really the only way I can see this getting better. I kinda understand where you're coming from. When I came out to my oldest sister (she's 32), she looked at me as if I was crazy, started laughing softly, and kept asking if I was sure. Even though I told her I was, she kept saying that I was just confused. It sucks, because of course things are gonna be different after that. She acts different around me (though she has stopped making gay jokes, so I'm happy about that) and I want my old sis back, but that can't just happen overnight. They need time to adjust and accept, even though it does suck. Don't worry, things will get better between you two, just stay strong and positive Brownie! (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    Btw, I love the nickname, brownies are just so delicious, and I have one hell of a sweet tooth :grin: