1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay straight alliance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Thisbiguy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Thisbiguy

Thisbiguy Guest

I am finally in highschool, and I want to be in the gsa. The only problem is my dad. I'm out to him as bi, but he doesn't want me to be in that club. He said wait until I'm a sophomore to join the club. Because of this and past opinions he's had I think he thinks that me being bi is a phase and that it will eventually blow over, but I know how I feel. Please give me advice on what to do. I want my father to know who I am. It's been 7 months since I've told him and he still tries to avoid conversations about sexuality. But he lovea to talk about sex. Just the other day he said '' you know eventually a same sex relationship leads to sex, are you ready for that. '' I wanted to say yes I want that just like I want straight sex. But I don't want to rant any longer. I appreciate any advice.
    :icon_bigg

2. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A hetero-relationship eventually leads to sex too...not sure where he was going with that.

I'm honestly indifferent on the idea of a freshman in a GSA. While yes, it would be helpful to meet other LGBT kids in your school...you could potentially be outed. I never joined mine and I'm not planning to, and I'm going into my Junior year. My school is small though and our GSA is filled mostly with straight people.

Good luck!

3. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother avoids those conversations as well. It took me over a year and a half to get her to be more gender neutral, because much like your dad, she has felt(and always has as far back as I remember) that my sexuality is a phase. But, I think all parents are uncomfortable talking to their kids about that kind of stuff. As long as you know how you feel, that's what matters to you. I'm dealing with this somewhat still as an adult, my mom still won't acknowledge it, and it's more like a 'Don't Ask,Don't Tell' when it comes to it.

Maybe where your dad was going with when he said that a same sex relationship can eventually lead to sex, maybe he's just wanting to make sure you're safe, and taking precautions to make sure you're safe. It's probably just coming off the way it is because he's still trying to accept the fact that you're bisexual. All I can say is just be yourself, and remember that what's important is that you know how you feel and no one else can tell you otherwise. I'm sure eventually your dad will come around, it just will take time.