1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Guy Falling For My Best Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Deen, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I've been googling for advice lately, and I think this site could really help me out. I've always considered myself very straight. I have a girlfriend, have had many in the past, and am just your typical horny teenager. But lately I think I've started to develop feelings for my best friend, who is also a straight guy, with a GF he's absolutely crazy about. I just can't tell if I'm having a hardcore "Bromance" or if I'm falling in love. We've been best friends for 3 years, all throughout high school.
    It all started back this past January one night we were pretty wasted and all of a sudden he started talking about a few times in the past when he had really wanted to make out with me, because he finds me pretty attractive, and asked me if I had ever wanted to kiss him. I told him that I really never had, but he could go for it if he wanted to. But, nothing happened.
    Fast-Forward all the way to May. Super drunk again, he brings up the "almost kiss". (I also need to throw in, he always instigates it, I never do.) I don't really remember how it got brought up, but somehow we started talking about gay people. And he talked about how much easier life would be if we could just be gay and spend the rest of our lives together, and how much fun it would be. But that he just couldn't bring himself to that point, because he loved women too much. And I of course agreed, taken off guard by his remarks. He went on to telling me that I was the only guy he's ever been attracted to, so I pretty much said the same, in less words. Somehow after that we ended up skinny dipping in the pool together, and that was the end of that. And part of me really wishes we could've had that kiss, just to see what would happen. And since that night it's really all I can think about. I mean I still get the butterflies from my girlfriend, and Im pretty sure I'm still in love with her. But when he looks at me, I get more of a rush. It's all I ever think about now. I strongly support gay people, but it's just never been me, and most of me still thinks it's not me, but with these thoughts...
    I just need some advice on what to do. Neither of us really acknowledge it sober. But you can tell there's just an unspoken spark there, it's just the way he looks at me... I don't know. He's literally my best friend in the whole world, I've never been closer to anyone in my whole life. We're closer than I am with any of my 3 brothers. We talk a lot about how we plan to stay best friends our whole life, and how we couldn't really live without each other. We also plan to move in together in college after graduation next year. You'd never ever expect either one of us to be gay that's whats scary, and not to mention the fact he constantly talks about his girlfriend, who also happens to be my sister, I try not to bring up my girlfriend a lot, hoping he won't bring up his, because I get so damn jealous. He's told me repeatedly he also get's jealous for some reason when I talk about her, but he doesn't know why, but he knows she's not the one for me....
    Someone please give me a little advice, PLEASE & Thank You!

#1 Deen, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. SomeNights

Well, seeing as you both have girlfriends I'd say drop it and forget it, because it's not fair to them. However, subtract the girlfriends and I'd say maybe you should just go with it and kiss him once to see where you stand.

3. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you see yourself dropping this issue and pretend like nothing happened?

Because your sister is his girlfriend and you guys are planning to move in after graduation.

If you can't, it's probably a good idea to clear the air.

4. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Just a little clarification on the sister thing. My mom married my step dad a year ago, and she is my step sister, who I see every other weekend and barely know. Not someone I've grown up with my entire life! I wouldn't ever do that to my real sister!

5. Deranged06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. George

Instead of focusing on gay vs. straight you perhaps should consider if there is some level of bisexuality. If you both truly do have attraction to women and some level towards one another, then that puts you somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. There's nothing wrong with that despite the negative stigma, and I would in fact bet that there is a surprisingly large number of "straight" guys in the world that are in fact bisexual.

Besides your friend have you ever found other guys hot? When I was questioning my sexuality I went through a phase where I checked out every guy and girl I saw during the day. That alone wasn't any sort of definitive test, but I found it to be quite revealing when I couldn't take my eyes off quite a few guys.

However, even if both of you are attracted to one another you still will have to seriously consider if this is worth pursuing with him. Even disregarding the girlfriends, there still is a the very real chance that a failed "experiment" could create awkwardness in your friendship. Then, supposing that you did kiss him and you found you really liked it, that still doesn't mean he would want to leave his girlfriend for you. If he said all those things when he was drunk, then those statements probably are indicative of some feelings but they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Anyway, maybe you should just try talking to him (when sober :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Tell him the feelings you've had and see how he reacts. This is of course if you think he'd handle it well. Just use your best judgment. Good luck. :slight_smile:

7. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Thank you so much! And to answer your question, no. The thought of being with another guy has always seemed awkwardly gross to me. I've always been a ladies man. That's what makes this situation so hard for me! And also, I've always heard "Drunk words are sober thoughts". Lol. Thanks for all your advice!

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2013 at 10:52 PM ----------

Along with the fact that I dont exactly know even if I did like the kiss if I would want him to leave his girlfriend, I don't know if I would want to leave mine. I really don't know what I want other than something to happen that will just give me some clarity.

8. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

Forget labels.....you guys need to get it on!

9. It sounds like, while you may not be gay, maybe you are bi or pansexual. It does sound like you two have some kind of feelings that to beyond friendship, and if you want to explore that, just have an honest conversation letting him know how you feel. Given the strength of your friendship and the fact that he may feel the same way, I doubt he would react badly. Good luck!

10. bluesky

this sounds complicated as hell. omg, I can't begin to wrap my head around this so I'm not going to. but I do want to say a few things and I want to say this without labeling, and just as people. you two obviously have feelings for each other and you're getting jealous because of each others girlfriends... so what does that tell you? minus the confusion of it being you both are guys, it sounds as of you both have feelings for each other right? bromance? I don't think so... you guys discussing the fact that you will always be best friends and planning to move in together seems pretty serious to me.

what I see is that you both are developing a relationship with each other, maybe more than friends. and it won't be apparent to you because you both are the ones living in it. sit back and think abou this for awhile before you decide on anything. Nobody said you can't have feelings for more than one person.. have you even thinking more about him after the incidents you guys had when you guys did all that talking drunk? if so, how are your thoughts compared to your girlfriend? you don't have to answer those questions if you don't want. but that's just something you should think about it. good luck with this!

11. AKTodd

Agree with this completely.

Your situation seems to be one that comes up here from time to time. There appears to be a subset of same-sex attraction in which a very close friendship develops to the point where romantic/sexual feelings develop between the people involved even though they never feel such attraction for anyone else and otherwise consider themselves totally straight. The jealousy when one or the other is dating someone else (opposite sex of course) is also not uncommon.

If you and your friend are in this situation and are able to work past the societal conditioning that says you shouldn't act on your feelings (or have them in the first place) then there is the potential for a very powerful relationship. The most important step in that is honest communication on both sides.

Hope this helps,

Todd

12. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Thank you so much for your advice! It makes me feel a little better. But yes after the incident I just think about him a lot. And I tend to miss him more. Sometimes we have to go up to 2 weeks without seeing each other. Of course we text and talk on the phone all the time. But I find myself missing him like crazy all the time. It's so complicated!

13. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I can't believe everyone is being so helpful, thank you! I guess the society thing is what's so scary. I couldn't imagine having a "boyfriend". But I have realized I find myself thinking about him more than my girlfriend, and here lately I've even fanticized more about him. Honestly there is no other guy I've ever been attracted to really. It's just him. Something about him just makes me crazy. It's insane! And as for the jealousy issue I honestly get so angry I see red whenever I have to listen to all the romantic things he and his girlfriend do. It makes me sick. When ever he told me how jealous he gets of my girl sometimes, I toned down talking about her. But it seems he talks more and more about his, just to make me insanely jealous! Again. Thanks for the advice, it means a lot!

#13 Deen, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  14. Deranged06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't be eager to label yourself, it will only confuse the hell out of you. focus on your feelings instead, How far will you go with your friend? Is this worth exploring? if both of you agreed about taking it up a notch will you be ready for whatever comes out of it? forget about society, do you see yourself having a romantic relationship with him? The good thing is the feeling is mutual so you are not on this alone... Have an open and honest communication, so both of you can figure it out together. tell him about your concerns, fears, feelings etc. it seems that both of you have genuine connection. Sometimes emotional attraction leads to physical attraction. why you are attracted to you friend and not to other guys? Because he is special. shared interests, mutual understanding, time invested, comfort level, you care about his well being etc.... Plus he is easy on the eyes so there you have it. Whatever comes out of it, if your friendship is strong enough it will stand the test of time. So relax and enjoy the ride.

15. confused1234

What you have with your friend sounds really, really special. It does sound like you might be in love with him. This is certainly a complicated situation though. First of all, you shouldn't pursue any physical contact with your friend until you are both single. It wouldn't be fair to him, and it wouldn't be fair to either of your girlfriends. As others have said, you also need to decide what kind of relationship you eventually want to have with him. Can you live with simply being best friends? Or do you want more? Forget about what society says, this is a decision that only you can make. If you truly love the guy, then I think you know the answer.

Now on to the good news: you both know you have feelings for each other! Talk with him about what you're feeling. Be honest and open with him. He has already said that he thinks you're attractive and, in more words, that he would be open to spending the rest of his life with you. That must have been scary for him to say, and I think you owe it to him to be honest about your feelings.

One last thing: I can't imagine that he wouldn't take this well. You must be on his mind if he mentioned an "almost kiss" that happened more than five months ago. It's pretty obvious that he's been thinking about that and about you. Good luck with everything.

16. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

I'm definitely scared to bring it up to him sober, at the moment. The physical attraction is there. He's told me he thinks I'm a good looking guy. And I'm definitely attracted to him physically. He's went as far as saying he would love to kiss me and he'd even maybe try oral with a guy. But, he couldnt get past the sex part. And I've realized I have the same mindset. Every time we almost make out he says "I just don't want it to lead to more and is both get hurt, or make things awkward." So the physical is definitely there. The idea of a sneaky intense sexual relationship seems really hot to me. Like I said before the idea of having a boyfriend scares the shit out of me. But at the sametime spending all my time with him in a relationship doesn't sound bad to me at all. And I'm terrified the more time goes by as he gets closer to his girlfriend, he'll get less and less into me. And I just don't want that to happen.

#16 Deen, Aug 11, 2013
  17. confused1234

Just to follow up, it sounds like you guys are already really open with each other about your feelings and a potential relationship. Is it really that big of a step to tell him what you've told us? It just sounds like you've been SO close to talking about it already. Be confident man. It really does sound like your friend might have similar feelings.

18. Deen

Deen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    We have been close to talking about it. But, we were drunk and then the next day, we just act like nothing happened. But you can still tell just by the way he looks at me. It makes my heart rush. I'm definitely down for talking about it again. I just think I might need to liquid courage. I'm just too scared of him reacting badly because he's too scared to admit it too. And then ruin our friendship. I can't handle loosing him. He just doesn't seem like the type that would be honest about his feelings at the risk of losing his masculine ego. I say that because we're so much alike and that's how I feel. I'm afraid ill come off as emasculate. Not to mention where we come from its so socially unaccepted. It's difficult. Thanks for everyone being so helpful!

#18 Deen, Aug 11, 2013
  19. whattagirl

You guys have like a Brokeback Mountain kinda thing going on here. You know, minus the sad ending hopefully. Honestly, the answer seems really obvious to me. You both seem to like each other more than your girlfriends (or so it seems), and you obviously both have strong feelings for each other. I would say that once the girls are out of the picture (it's reall not fair to them where it is right now), just take your relationship slow and see where it goes. By having a relationship with a man you're not like making some large commitment to being gay, or even bi. You're just saying that you both really like each other (and from what I can tell, this is very true).

Before anything happens though, you need to have a long, sober, talk with him about everything you and him are feeling.

Good luck!!

20. confused1234

He has been honest with you though. He told you that he is attracted to you. And he more or less said that he would be fine spending the rest of his life with you. That's pretty damn honest if you ask me. And just like you, he is scared that one or both of you might get hurt. But the only way you'll get any clarity is by talking it over with him.

And hey, if you need a few drinks in you to do this, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just be careful though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.