1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different places in a relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Derpette, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Derpette

Hey guys, I would like to hear your opinions on this. Or, as a matter of fact, I would like to ask you something - Has it ever happened to you, that you and the person you were/are in a relationship with were in a different places? Let me explain excactly what I mean.

Imagine that you're friends with someone, and the other person is in love with you for a few years. Later something happens and you start to have feelings for them as well and the next thing you know, you're in a relationship. Now, you're in that freshly in love phase, where you can't do anything but look at him/her and smile, whereas she/him is in the later phase, no rose-colored glasses, doesn't need to stare at you all the time and so on, you know what I mean. Of course the love is still there, it's just not that intense as it was before.

So, if this ever happened to you, was it difficult to deal with, or it was not important at all?
    If you haven't experienced this, how do you feel about it? Do you think it could be a problem?

Thanks for your opinions :slight_smile:

2. Two Shakes

This is an actual thing, as I'm sure you know- romantic love (the "rose tinted glasses" as you call it) is the more tumultuous, intense kind of love. This is the kind of love you're experiencing. Your friend however, as you said, is past that stage and for them attachment love has set in. I'm probably just spewing nonsense you already know, but in any case..

Personally, I haven't been in a situation like this, but my sister has. To her it is frustrating because she constantly wants to do all the novel, new things you do when you get in a relationship, while her boyfriend just wants to quietly sit and just be with her. I don't get to talk to my sister much, but I have asked her if she is enjoying her relationship despite the dating frustration, and she gave me a wishy washy 'yes and no' answer. She said she wishes he spent more time with her, etc. but either way she'll still love him.

I suppose it depends on each person. I imagine I'd be very much aggravated if something like this happened to me, but I'm a very volatile person at times. I couldn't stand not getting the attention I'm giving back, but again, this varies from person to person! Imagine how they felt for the first year, you just thinking of them as a friend, so on and so forth.

In my opinion? It can end up being a big problem- like I said it never happened to me, but even just thinking about it makes me feel funny! I'm not saying your relationship is sure to fall apart, no, if you really love each other and want to, there is definitely a way to work it out. I'm just saying, the road might not be easy. I hope everything works out and that you are happy in the end!