1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family issues/financial/moving out/education/career Please help what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TyTy91, Aug 12, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What would you do if you were me? What should I do? Advice please

I now changed my mind on going to Massage Therapy school I dont want to go Ive done more research and cons had out weighed the good and its really not worth the investment. So I'm going back to Community college but right now Im going to a technical college and plan on transferring to a regular Community College. I was a little too late for registration so Ive only got 2 classes to take at the technical school this Fall. I plan on getting my core classes or at least 30 units of credit to transfer to Perimeter College.

Anyways I have planned to move out of my parents house early 2014. My parents are devout jehovahs witness, (if you didnt know already) I'm desperately wanting to move out of my parents house, but I only have $7,000 in my name and thats really not a lot. I really dont have a lot friends so I dont really know anyone like that , plus with not having any friends Im going to need a roommate but Im pretty nervous with getting a roommate that I don't know.

If you live in my house you CAN'T do these things when you're a jehovahs witness or living with a JW parents. Look at the website below and imagine yourself living in my house CANT do these things. What would you do?

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/religi...-jehovahs-witnesses-believe-are-wrong-143682/

I know my life sucks but Im trying to get out of the rut and finally live a life of my own

Right now Im working at a grocery store part time and I only get $9.50 an hour thats alot for a high school student but NOT a college student. I would like to work for the entertainment industry. I want to cast actors/actresses for films/TV shows but Im really into casting them for film, Blockbuster or Indie films. I would also like to interview celebrities not really obsess with celebrities but I just like interviewing people. But I dont want to be a news reporter for local cities. People like on the Entertainment Tonight that do interviews thats what I would like to do as well. Its ironic that I would like to do this because Im really shy in general to most people. But I have interviewed students in high school when I was taking Video Production at my high school and I just liked interviewing people. I just don't know how to swim in the pool sort of speak I dont know where to begin. Also I dont know what degree I should get they say you really dont need a degree to be a interviewer. But if I had to get a degree it would be in Communications.
    I would also like to be an actor for short films and Indie films but idk if I have the talent for that because my short term memory is very bad, plus I did a play in high school and I messed up a couple of times it was embarrassing but I still find acting interesting.

As for college I REALLY want to get out Plus I feel old I'll be 23 next year and usually 23 year olds are out of college or just finishing up their Bachelors. Me being 23 in a class of students who are 18, 19 kind of scares me a little and still consider being a Freshman too while Im only trying to obtain only an Associates Degree it kind of feels pathetic.

During college I would like to live with a roommate or in my own place but I dont know any jobs I could do for higher wage to live off of. I at least want to find a job where I will get paid weekly instead of biweekly. I also have ADHD (combined) also with anxiety and a mild learning disability! I just don't want to find a job that pays more and the job being TOO much for me and I don't want to get fired because that would just blow my self esteem and confidence even further down. Even though I dont have much as in for talent, I think my positive attributes is my smile which I get from a lot of people I'm nice and patient but that can only get you so much somewhere in life. It really gets frustrating when your coworkers say that I should just marry a rich man, (meaning TOO ME) that I can't succeed on my own and that I don't have any abilities
    to make into a career. The fact that they said that REALLY damped my spirit.

I just know a couple of things that Im going to need to do go see a therapist and eventually find another job to help me financially, while building up a career.

As for a career I just want something that is in the Film industry, Interviewing and or traveling.
    Their are ALOT of careers that Im just not interested in or dont have the ability which makes me not interested either.

Questions below

What would you do if you were me living with my parents?
    How would you move out with little money like $7,000?
    How do I move out and be on my own never been out in the real world before really since ive been caged in for all of my life?
    How much money do I need to move out? (I live in ATL... Atlanta) so its not NYC Chicago or LA or San Francisco
    How would I get into the TV/Movie industry to start out from the bottom PA assistant?
    Which career would be better in the Entertainment Industry, Interviewer or in Casting?
    What degree should I get to be a celebrity interviewer for TV on small TV shows or TV shows on the internet you see? (For example you have these interviewers who interview celebrities but the interviewer isnt that famous and you see them more on the internet like on yahoo.com or youtube.... that is what I would like to be)

What are a list of jobs that are easy and pay a little more than Im being paid right now?
    (I can only think of receptionist)

Sorry if I ranted I have a lot on my mind

#1 TyTy91, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. ryanalexander61

Re: Family issues/financial/moving out/education/career Please help what would YOU d

First, you have a lot going on in that post so slow down! Career, parental issues, personal issues, etc.

Remember, you only have what I assume at this point is a high school degree. Your wage earning potential is very low, that is just the reality of the situation. A lot of college graduates can't find any employment let alone desirable employment so you are unfortunately going to have to keep your expectations low. If you are only taking two classes this semester you are going to need to keep working and most likely it is going to be in a less than desirable job. But you have to make ends meet that is just the reality of the situation. If I were you, I would consider re-thinking your immediate plans to move out. Living on your own is very expensive, and you haven't even started college yet. You'd have to budget I'd say 800-1000 for rent and utilities, 75 a week for food (which is very low, but doable), transportation, other household items, etc. Even though Atlanta isn't Chicago or NY it is still a big city, so you are looking at 1500-2000 dollars a month depending on your spending habits. I'd say you wouldn't want to spend a dime of your savings because you need that for a rainy day. Seven thousand dollars is a good amount, but you are going to have to pay a full months rent down on a security deposit, then you are going to need other items to set up your place. If you don't plan on continuing to work, then you really can't afford to move out. Also, very very very few jobs pay weekly instead of bi-weekly so I wouldn't make that a focus of your search. I can't tell you any specific job to look for because you don't have really any experience.

As for your career goals, the entertainment industry is tough to get into, especially with the jobs you are seeking. Most jobs like that are out of NY or LA, and you don't get them over night. If you want experience in those industries many people work a couple of years as unpaid interns. I would say focus on a degree in Communications or Broadcast Journalism, but be prepared for the reality of the situation that this is a hard industry to break into. But at the end of the day it is important to follow your dreams, but it is going to be a tough road for a while.

I know living with your parents sucks, I sympathize with that. But what about doing two years at a community college (living with your parents) and then going to a bigger university? Are your parents currently supporting you at all financially?

Everything will work out in time, just be patient.

3. AKTodd

Re: Family issues/financial/moving out/education/career Please help what would YOU d

Lets look at this from another direction. How much money would you need to be making to move out of your parents house?

Break everything down by month. How much do you make per month now? How much will rent cost you, with and without one or more roommates? How much will food cost you per month? Utilities? Do you have a car? Are you making payments? Insurance? Gas? Etc.

Put together an imaginary budget based on the amount of money you make now in your current job. Don't consider your savings yet. Be coldly realistic and don't base the numbers on what you want, but on the facts. Maybe even be a bit pessimistic for this first round.

If the numbers work out to you not being able to swing this on the first try, time to start getting creative. Could you get a second part time job on the weekends? Could you get on with a temp agency that might pay more? Can you rent with one or more roommates, etc.

You need to be realistic and not let your desire to get away from your parents overwhelm all else. But you also need to do some planning. A good plan can help on lots of levels.

Re career advice, I'd suggest that the degree that gives you the most options and potential paths to what you want would be the best choice. To me that sound like casting. For every celeberty interviewer, there are probably dozens of casting staff. But it's your dream and you probably know more about this subject than I do. That said, my partner does some TV and film work. If you want I could ask him and ask him to ask his contacts and coworkers in the business about this aspect of things.

Hope this helps,

Todd