1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's acceptance of bisexual male partners

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JoshuaLovely, Aug 12, 2013.

1. JoshuaLovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A fear I often ponder when thinking of attaining a boyfriend for the first time is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to have a girlfriend again. I know for sure that it would shrink the pool of women available to me. But by how much? It would destroy me if I couldn't get a girlfriend just because I'd had a boyfriend in the past. How do straight women feel about this? Is this a legitimate concern for me? I guess I should ask about bisexual women as well because it would be presumptuous of me to say that all bisexual women would be accepting of a bisexual man.

2. Andbenz0189

I'm also bisexual and this has been my question for a long time. Since i came out two things have happened to me. There's this group of girl friends who as soon as knew i was bisexual immediately friendzoned me (i had a big crush on one of them so it's been ugly). However there was this time with a female friend of another friend of mine who learned at a party that i was bisexual and later that night kissed me. Maybe it was because we were both very drunk, but i still wonder if in other situation there's a chance a girl who knows what i like will still want to have something. Not sure if this helps at all.

3. chartreuse

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I honestly don't care. I am bisexual myself, but even before I realized I was bisexual, I would not have had a problem with dating a bisexual guy. Although girls sometimes get crap for being bisexual too. It's sometimes hard for us to get boyfriends, or they only think its hot that we like girls too. But no, I have no issue at all, and I can't understand why anyone else would too.

4. JoshuaLovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know of at least a few girls who have expressed that they thought it was gross to think of being with a guy who had been with a guy(s).

5. castle walls

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if my partner was bisexual. I might even prefer it.

As for straight women, I think you may have some issues there. I'm not sure how many women would refuse to date a bisexual man since I doubt a study with a decent sample size has ever been completed but it is a legitimate concern. The thing is that if someone rejects you solely based on your sexual orientation, why would you want to be with someone like that? Would you be compatible with someone that does that?

I know that there are men and women (usually women in my experience) that won't be interested in me once they hear that I'm not monosexual. I consider that to be something that helps me screen out people I shouldn't be with. I highly doubt that I'd be compatible with anyone that refuses to date someone solely because they're bisexual. It really does make less work on my part. I realize that this is a pretty optimistic view but it is just the way I view it.

If you want to date a man, then you should date a man. Any woman that has a problem with that isn't worth your time

6. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Things don't end here. There are even lots of gay guys who wouldn't date a guy who identifies as bi.

7. JoshuaLovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is my fear, no love for me : ( The positive responses have been nice though : )

8. inknots

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say that it would "destroy you" if you couldn't have a girlfriend again; but does the idea of never dating a man "destroy you"? If it doesn't, then I would suggest to only date women. Some bisexual people are completely 50/50, but in my experience, we have somewhat of a preference. It sounds to me like you prefer women. However, let me also note that just being bisexual, whether or not you've actually had a relationship with a man, will cause many straight women to be judgmental. Many straight women are programmed to want a "manly man" who is big, tough, and homophobic. Yes, being bisexual will shrink your dating pool. But why do you want women like that, anyway? As a bisexual woman, I've had much much more trouble with getting lesbians to consider me. Gay people often view bisexual people as "straight people experimenting." Yes, it is a legitimate concern, but no, you will not be alone forever. It will be harder, but that's the lovely world of being LGBT. It's harder for me because I'm a feminist and I can't stand that 90% of straight men I meet are sexist, due to our lovely society. We all have obstacles that make it more difficult to be in relationships. But that's what makes it so magical when we finally find someone. If it was so easy to connect with others, we wouldn't value our relationships as much - they'd be replaceable!

9. Femme

I have had this discussion about bisexuality among men and women often. Almost all of my friends are straight. Every single one of them men and women said they would not marry (male-female marriage) a bisexual. Straight Men have said they would dare a bisexual woman. Some cited the potential for 3somes, others said she is probably better in bed being "experimental" but the men said they wouldn't get serious with a bisexual woman.

As for my straight female friends and even my bisexual female partner, all of them said they would not date a bisexual man. I've asked friends and acquaintances this question often and every single one of my straight female friends and acquaintances have said the same and they all know I'm bisexual.

In my experience men were ok if I had "bisexual experiences" but not ok if I was in a "real relationship" with a woman. Also, many lesbians refuse to date bisexual women so I've mostly been with other bisexual women or recently "out" lesbian women still figuring things out.

10. JoshuaLovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I understand about relationships being more valuable when you have to earn them : ) And it would be very hard for me if I fell in love with a woman who couldn't accept the fact that I'm attracted to some men even if I hadn't been with any. I also understand the fear that gay men have about bisexual men being fickle. It seems that most straight women who won't date bisexual men simply think that it's gross. I guess it's because I'm bisexual that I didn't think anything of it when my last ex told me that she was bisexual. That was at the beginning of our two and a half year relationship no less. I have always wanted a caring, kind, loving, and accepting soul mate. I guess shrinking the pool might actually help me find that person. If the pool ever gets shrunk that is.

11. Praetor

I identify myself as bi. I've had a gay bf for a short while now and he's never had a problem with it - he knew from the get go.

I actually have also had this on my mind, and I think it's probably true that some women will automatically rule out bi men - but not all women. I think some fear the myth of "promiscuity" that has been firmly stamped on to the stereotype of bi people. Others may be uncomfortable with a man who displays traits they may consider "feminine".

The Dr. Seuss quote says it best:
    "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter"

12. aznboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My attitude is, if someone has a problem with it (and can't accept you for who you are), she (or he) probably wasn't the right person for you anyway.

13. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I understand a certain fear that a non-bi people might have of a bi person: that they might only be able to satisfy "half" of a bi person's needs sexually/emotionally.

But what you've pointed out here is just totally beyond my understanding. You'd think straight girls would like a little extra left over man residue on their man.

14. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, exactly ^
    :thumbsup:

15. LILuke

Wait WHAT?!?! Is this true? Why??? That's ridiculous! *Curls up in a corner and sobs* *Foreveralone*

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hm this is a good question!

Personally I could care less if someone I dated was bi... as long as they (mostly) only have eyes for me! :wink: I have a lot of straight female friends who don't seem to mind gay/bisexual men at all so take that as you will.

17. people who arent accepting of others, are just that. they arent worth your time if they cant accept you but i wouldnt worry about it otherwise you will probably be wprrying so much that maybe the right person for you will of walked on by because you couldnt see it for worrying so much. idk. you sound young, so you have your whole life to find someone so i wouldnt worry! even if you are older it doesnt matter love comes when its ready :slight_smile:

some gay women dont accept non gold stars, some gay women dont accept bi women, some bi women dont accept gay women, some gay men dont accepts bi men, some bi men dont accept gay men, the list is endless but you get the idea.

the people who dont accept you arent worth your time or worth worrying over.

18. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would be accepting of a bisexual man (it would be very hypocritical of me not to be!) As far as straight women being accepting...I guess it depends on their understanding of bisexuality and their level of homophobia/biphobia. I know I heard my mum say that being a bisexual was disgusting and she could never date one because she'd be worried they'd run of with a man all the time. But she's really biphobic/homophobic. Can't wait to move out! I'm sure there would be women who are not as ignorant that would be accepting. Everyone is an individual so it's hard to tell :slight_smile:

19. Klutz

I don't get it. I think bi guys are hot. I think that about bi gals, too. Because if someone can appreciate all the offerings on the table and find being with me the best... total ego trip. And what could be better? "I could want anyone, but I chose you!" forgive me whilst I swoon.

I've never understood the "they might run off with someone of the opposite sex than me!!!!" fear. Really, if someone is of the running out on a commitment personality, it doesn't matter what sex people involved are does it?

So, if they don't accept you, hope that they find someone worthy of their self centered insecure affection. You are worth more. Cheers!