1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my dad?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rasengan, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Rasengan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking about coming out to my dad but something he said today changed my mind. He said something on the lines of "I saw 2 guys today sucking faces and swapping spit in the grocery store, god those faggots make me sick" and he absolutely hates gay people. I really didn't notice all the hateful slurs that he says all the time until now. Anyway now i dont want to tell him at all. He asked me about a month ago if i was gay because i seemed like i wasnt "interested in women" but all my friends are girls so shouldnt that make him think i like them?! I hate this im confused and dont feel like keeping it a secret anymore. I dont think i will ever tell him or anyone for that matter.

2. GayNerd

The only way it would be okay to tell your Dad is if you can support yourself. Why? Because he would most likely kick you out, which means you'll most likely be living on the streets. if you can support yourself, go ahead. However, either way, be prepared for questions, like "Was it something I did?", "What about kids?", "How will people treat you?" like that.

#2 GayNerd, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Rasengan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think he can kick me out. After all i'm only 15 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Praetor

Don't let one person get you down, even if it is your father.

Coming out to your father may not be a great idea if you're still at home and he's known to be homophobic, unless you know you'll be financially secure and have a place to stay if you were out to your parents. If you know you'll be secure and safe even if he does know, it is up to you. Do you feel ready and comfortable coming out?

But don't let that hold you back coming out to friends. Having friends who know is a great feeling and definitely removes a level of tension - you can be yourself around them. Just be careful who you tell. Test the waters and feel for how your friends may react.

Just hang in there. I know it's been said a billion times, but I think it does get better.

5. GayNerd

Trust me. He could if he wanted to.

6. lovehatelive

When he said that thing about those gay people and hating them I think you should have said so you hate your son then and walked off, way to add drama, I wish we lived in a fantasy world and people actually did that, it's a lot harder in real life, he seems like he needs someone close to him to be gay, I think it would help him understand it

7. Rasengan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lmao i love your idea putting drama in it xD i think i may try to do something like that the next time he says something rude or mean about it.

8. Iceman110295

i have the same problem with my mom she dont like gay people at all and some times its hard to listen what she say sometimes but what help me is music so try and find something you like and do that if your dad make you mad with his opinions and also the best you can do with coming out is not coming out to you dad until you get older because can kick you out.