1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be weird if I asked him if he wanted to hangout?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lovelife, Aug 12, 2013.

1. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone.. first time posting but I think I might like this place. :slight_smile:

I don't really know him all that well. I found out a little bit about him last Friday and before that we never really talked. I caught him looking at me about 2 months ago and I looked deep into his eyes. I got this weird feeling and then I looked away. He's leaving for college in about month so I'm running out of time. His college isn't too far away but I won't see him if I don't do something. Also I know for a fact he's gay. No doubt about it. I'm wondering how to ask him though. When he was sitting next to me he kept on mirroring my body language. Also he was talking to me about school and he asked how old I was. I and don't really use facebook so my page is kind of embarrassing especially compared to his. I do have his email but I think that would be awkward. Any suggestions? I'm not out of the closet yet and I don't think he knows I'm gay. He's just flirted with me a little.

2. robclem21

Go talk to him and ask him out? Worse that is happens is he says no and its a little awkward. You aren't good friends. In fact, you don't really know him so I don't see much harm here.

If you want to start dating someone who is out, chances are you are going to have to come out of your comfort zone a little bit. Just saying...

3. buddylpal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would say to at least try and see what you're comfortable with. You say that you're not out yet and to be honest, when someone who's not out gets involved with someone who is out, it can cause a lot of conflict. Get to know him a little better as a friend and then evaluate yourself and see how you feel. If he is asking for something more than jsut friends you will soon know and in my experience this is when the closet cases really start denying everything. Just take it slow. Maybe getting to know him will give you the courage you need to come out.

4. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys..

The worst could be that he tells everyone at work I'm gay but I don't really think he would do that. Should I email him or wait to see if we're scheduled again with each other? I'm like ready to come out to my family. Especially for him.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Instead of trying to make it a "date", or framing it in context of "hanging out", maybe you can come up with something specific. If he's into movies, perhaps invite him to go see one. Or a concert. Or a new museum exhibit. Or a sporting event. Anything to provide a specific pretext for inviting him along. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Pat

Pat

It's only awkward if you make it that way lol. Just be frank. "Hey man, I know you're leaving for college soon and I really regret not having the chance to get to know you! I'm planning on doing (so and so) and I wondered if you wanted to hang out with me buddy. If you're interested, let me know" That's what I would say at least.

7. robclem21

If you said you know he is gay for sure, I would imagine he understands what its like and would not tell anyone if you were uncomfortable with it.

I would suggest what others said. Don't phrase it like a date. Ask him if he wants to do something fun with you and see where it goes from there.

8. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's not really any concerts or sporting events around here. There's a couple concerts coming up like 2 hours away but I've never even heard of them.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, you could say that you want to hear something new and would like someone to experience it with you.

10. I agree that first you two should be friends and then you should decide what you're comfortable with. Just invite him to see a movie or go get lunch or something. If you guy spend a few weeks/months just being friends maybe you will have come out by that time and then it'll be easier for you two to date, if you wanted that. Best wishes!

11. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to email him. I'm feeling really confident..

12. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been 4 days and I still haven't done it. I guess I'm just having second thoughts. He's probably leaving soon.. 2 weeks? and I just don't see how it would work. His college is like 4 hours away from me.

What an opportunity I had... If only I checked out his FB 2 months ago.

13. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't make a big deal out of it, don't even make it a date. Just send him an email and say, "How about if we have coffee before you leave for college." Keep it simple as that.

Then, when you have coffee, just assume it is coffee between friends. Keep it low key. It's an opportunity to test the water.

This is supposed to be fun! Not difficult!

Good luck to you. Let me know how it turns out.

Milan

14. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! I am going to email him. I will hate myself if I don't jump on this opportunity. Coffee though? Hmmmm Do 19 year olds go out for coffee? I really don't know.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Hey, never got a chance to hang out with you, and I'd like to get that in before you go. You available for lunch or coffee sometime soon?"

Cut. Paste. Post. Go. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I emailed him. I have never felt such a fear for rejection in my life. I've never stepped out of my comfort zone before. Thanks so much everyone. I really hope this turns out well.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The greater the risk, the greater the reward. :slight_smile:

18. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hope that's the truth.

I'm going to regret it in the morning or I'm going to be the happiest guy in the world.

19. lovelife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Crap. I probably should have asked if he had a bf first.

20. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi

If he has a BF all may not be lost, although perhaps not what you wanted you may have the possibility of acquiring 2 gay friends to be the start of your support group for coming out later. They may also introduce you to other gay guys.