1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socialization: I Swear I'm not an Idiot!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by drwinchester, Aug 14, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So, this might be the wrong place for this thread but figured it was all interpersonal and whatnot.

My problem? I may sound reasonably intelligent/well spoken online. In person? I'm a stammering idiot and it's any wonder that I still bother speaking.

In a convientally listed nutshell...

- I genuinely like people but have problems speaking with anyone I'm not close to.

- In conversation, I'm easily flustered and say stupid shit. Usually while stammering and muttering.

- Homeschooled for four years so I have no idea how to interact with people my own age. Missed out, especially in regards to culture and how people my age are supposed to act.

- I hate my voice. Always have. High, feminine, dysphoria inducing.

- I'm always afraid I'll look like an idiot in front of people and am especially self-concious. Part of this is, when I'm in scenarios where people know I'm a transguy (like my group), I'm not behaving 'masculine enough' or I'm worried I'll never pass.

- I'm clumsy, awkward. See above ^

- Mocked, typically at home, for voice and being awkward.

Because of this, I feel people (especially family) don't take me seriously. And I'd like to be able to interact with people without becoming anxious or stuttering/stammering, etc. Especially imperative as I socially transition because I'd like to be taken seriously as a man.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid the only part of this I can help with is this bit: "how people my age are supposed to act" <--There is no such thing. Due to the number of variables influencing each person it would be damned near impossible to suggest a way person of X age should act! Act like you, someone'll like it...

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, I suppose I've always had trouble relating to people my own age, so I can't blame that entirely on homeschool. So I suppose I don't know exactly what it is. Just always felt I have more to prove to them, appease the peers and all that.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone gets that, which is half the problem. Everyone wants to prove they can fit in with the rest of the group and then groups build up around absolute crap...it's why so many people find their big group of friends breaks up so quickly when they move away from each other!

5. AAASAS

If you focus on how awkward you are you will seem even more so.

I am known for being extremely clumsy, and get easily flustered when unwanted attention is paid to me.

Just accept it, it is a part of who you are. I think it is funny I am clumsy and can be awkward because looking back on the things I do, I realize how innocent they are.

I am exactly like you, when I talk to people I don't know I tend to say weird things; usually because I am trying to terminate the conversation. I also can mumble and fumble my words when put under pressure or talking to someone I think is judging me.

All this does is increase how awkward I am, so if I continue to focus on it, my awkwardness will be magnified.

Just laugh at it, when you fuck up your words make a comment on how you can't speak, or make fun of yourself when you do something like a clutz. There is no harm in it, and if you go with it, accept it, and almost have fun with it it won't be a problem.

Whenever I fuck up what I am saying I will make a comment about it, or if I fuck up what I am doing I make a verbal comment. This takes away any power from others pointing it out, it also shows your human side because you are admitting to a flaw you have.If others see that you recognize this flaw; which is a very small almost endearing one, and that you can make fun of it, you will seem more confident in yourself.

People honestly want to be around others that are confident in themselves, showing a lack of this can make them feel sympathy for you, and people generally don't want to have to do this. They'd rather be around a happy person, that requires no effort to hang around.

This means that people just want people to be themselves, therefore if you are awkward and clumsy, than be that, people won't care if you are as long as THAT IS WHO YOU ARE. What I am saying is people don't have a problem with someone fumbling their words, or being a clutz, generally people think that is funny, what people have a problem is someone who is lacking confidence in who they are.

So next time you do something stupid laugh about it, and I am sure others will too.

Take it from someone who walks around with his fly down; I forget, mix up words, I literally shake when someone is watching me do a task, I can almost randomly yell responses at people if I get excited, I spill EVERYTHING, I am NEVER CAREFUL, I trip all the time, I roll my ankle regularily, my nick name with my friends for like 10 years is Spilly Pants. I am just a walking mess.

#5 AAASAS, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Kamina

This is good advice, I employ these tactics regularly seeing as the last paragraph is me in a nut shell. (!) my nick name is "doctor" tho because of my doctor who obsession! :lol: embrace your silliness and then no one can mock you for it. I regularly stutter and I work in the service industry talking to people all day, if you point it out and laugh they will to and it's not awkward! (!) :thumbsup: good luck!

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks. :slight_smile: It is good advice and I will keep it in mind. I guess part of it's just that because of how stupid/awkward I act at times, I'm characterized as the "cute one" and hate it. Suppose I should learn to love it, because what else is there to do?