1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to break friendship...friend doesn't get hints!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MoyashiAlice, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Please help me out, I don't know what to do about this "friend". :frowning2:

During middle school, I was best friends with this girl (let's call her V). In grade 9, we still got along. However, past that point our friendship started having some tension. My friend began to constantly put me down, and the weird thing is, I'm not even sure she was aware of it.

She also changed a lot. She has always liked guys, but when she got a crush in high school she got her friends to video tape him and take pictures of him behind his back. It seemed a little obsessive to me... :dry:

The other thing that drove me up the wall about her was that she would try to find out info about me from out moms. Basically, her mom started to ask my mom about my mental health like "Is Alice seeing a doctor?" or "What conditions does she have?" I really didn't want anyone to know that stuff, so someone trying to pry it out o my family instead just asking me irritated me. She also pulled the "I-will-bring-it-up-in-front-of-many-people tactic. :dry:

Just a bit of background info about her. Anyway, the problem is, I don't want to hang out with her anymore. It was hard to be away from her in high school, since she hung out with all my friends. I have made sure not to be in contact with her, or go anywhere she does this summer.

Unfortunately, she won't really get the hint that I don't want to be friends. :icon_sad: In high school, I tried to stop hanging out as much but even then it didn't really penetrate. She keeps saying about how were going to be friends for a long time and invites me over. I keep trying to come up with excuses, hoping she would get the hint after a while. But it has been 2 years and she still doesn't seem to get it.

V is also very sensitive and tells her friends (and mine) everything. So, if I just told her point blank that I didn't want to be friends, she would paint me out to be the bad guy. Any ideas on how I can resolve this????

Any thoughts would help, I don't now what to do anymore. :frowning2:

2. Two Shakes

I know the type. It is really hard to deal with someone who has little to no social grace/just can't take a hint!

I would suggest going for a direct but not rude approach. For example, maybe say, "Look, V, you are a good person and our friendship was really great, but I just feel we've grown apart- Sorry, but I don't want to be friends with you anymore." Even if this is untrue, add the cliche "It's not you, it's me." Emphasize that they're not a bad person(even though they may be?), it's just that ______, etc. etc.

Of course she could get even more oblivious and try to come up with ways to "fix" the friendship. After a certain point, though, there is no more tip toeing. You just gotta say "Look, We're not friends anymore." There are cases where they don't even get that.. At that point.. Well I wish you luck and I hope you figure it out, because I haven't!

Seriously, though, I hope things go well! V sounds a bit like someone who ends up being rude or nosy without realizing it, or maybe they do, I don't know them nearly as well as you do- I don't know them at all!

3. sharkpool

Would it be a possibility to talk about this issue to the friends you have in common? Maybe they feel the same way about her and you can talk into a solution

4. MoyashiAlice

@ Two Shakes
    Thanks for the good advice. :slight_smile: V is a good person and all, we are just total opposites. And unfortunately, she is the type to try to fox friendships. At one point, when I thought she may have sensed something was off, she became extremely clingy, to the point where if I would mention going somewhere, she would say "OMG, I'll come." :/

I am not great at being direct, but likely at some point it is as you said... I will eventually have to be upfront or have this go on for a while.

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2013 at 11:33 PM ----------

@ sharkpool

Unfortunately, it is one of those circumstances where my friends are her friends. It would escalate to a pick-a-side cat fight if I did that. :frowning2:

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    General rule: hints don´t work with that kind of people (actually they hardly ever work).
    You have to talk to the "friend" and make things clear.
    Who cares what she tells others?
    The problem is that you don´t want her anymore. Solve that and take the consequenses.

Just say "Look, you´ve been a great friend, but YOU KNOW we´ve grown apart because we changed in the years and I want a different kind of life now and it doesn´t include you."
    And walk away.

6. MoyashiAlice

@ Boyfriend
    Thanks for the advice. I think you may be right, hints really aren't working at this point. :frowning2:

7. Boyfriend is right. You're going to just have to say it.

And if your mutual friends turn this into a huge drama even after you've explained why you don't want to be friends with her, then they're not being very good friends.

8. Hrantou

Just to nail the others point home, just say it. People like that just don't get it, and never do. I know because I've dealt with the same thing.

The hard part is the drama that ensues after. If it comes up with your mutual friends, just explain to them why you feel the way you do. Eventually it will just be.

Its not easy, and for that I give you a hug (*hug*)

Just my 2cents.

9. MoyashiAlice

@ thedreamwatch and Hrantou

Thanks. :slight_smile:

10. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to play devil's advocate....

Did you stop to think that this friend of yours may have some problems and see's you as some sort of 'rock' or a reference point for friendship?

Sometimes we get so absorbed with ourselves that we forget that other people have feelings too.

Have a chat with your friend, you may find that you are the one person that she can actually rely on.

11. MoyashiAlice

@dfiant

Yes, I thought about that a lot too. It makes the whole situation even harder. I know that she has general anxiety (like me). But that's all I know about her issues really. She gets good grades, 90's mostly, hangs out a lot with her other friends (she does have quite a lot, ranging from 6-15) and seems happy most of them time.

The only thing she isn't happy about is that she doesn't have a boyfriend. She has wanted one for a long time. I'd be also kinda afraid of her learning about me being bi as she proclaimed once that "Lesbians make me really uncomfortable" and is religious.

In a way, I'd also be afraid that I could never be me around her.