1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I making too much out of this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by josh9623, Aug 16, 2013.

1. josh9623

I went to the office supply store to get school supplies, and when I checked out the cashier was about my age and he started asking me a few questions, kind of acted like he was interested in me and then tried to play it off. I looked up on FB to see if I could find him, and it was quite a bit easier than I thought, then I had a thought and checked to see how hard it would be for him to find me, i punched in the info that he had and the search had one result, me.

So my question is do you think he was just being curious, or do you think he was actually interested?

2. igoloo2946

Honestly, there is not much to go off of here. I wouldn't think much of it especialy if you just met him only once, but you can try and get to know him and see were it takes of from there!

3. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He is paid to be friendly, it is part of his job, so chances are you are reading into something that isn't there.

4. Hrantou

Hate to say it, but that's a huge factor. People who works in places that deal with a lot of people each day have to be nice and keep their cool, otherwise they're out a job.

Not to say he didn't like you, but don't read too much into a one time short meeting. :slight_smile:

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You need to go back a few times to suss him out :slight_smile:

6. dreambig

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not so sure as others have said it could just be him being friendly

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's whatever you want to make out of this. If you really like him and want to go through the effort of getting to know him, then go back multiple times like Dublin Boy said. Ultimately, your interactions at the store will be limited by the employee-customer separation, so you will need to find some reason to talk/meet with him outside of that environment.

Also, this seems to happen more frequently than I thought. I remember seeing multiple Craigslist "missed connections" ads of guys who saw someone working at a store (or often a gym) and then trying to find that person. There is one organic foods store that frequently pops up, so there must be an employee who hits a lot of guys' gaydars. :grin:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, a lot of times, certain companies instruct cashiers to try and get info from purchasers, so that could have been what was going on as well.

9. josh9623

I guess it could have been nothing. I am used to people being friendly but this just felt different.

10. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some times intuition plays a role. Why don't you go back and buy a book, a pencil or whatever and get served by him again. if it is quiet, have a little chat, exchange facebook details, see what happens.

People in retail are paid to be friendly, some people take the job more seriously than others....some people may actually be overly friendly to someone that they see as attractive.

The message some of us were trying to convey is 'Don't get your hopes up' :wink: