1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making new friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Alphabets, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so school is coming up in a few days :icon_sad:, and I have no classes with my friends. I have problems with making new friends, because Im a shy person. When I do try to make new friends, its just that I have no similarities with anyone in the class. Im a nerdy type of person, im currently in the top 4% of my graduating class. I think that is the reason why, maybe because Im smart? Like almost every student just doesn't care about school :dry:. When I try to become friends with them, they're are like "F*ck this!" (Homework). Then Im just there doing my work, and then they'll try to become friends with me to copy off me (Fake people). So, I think that is one of the reasons why I have difficulty making new friends. The only reason why I do my work in class is to that I can focus on other stuff at home. I have a big fear of being alone, especially when the teachers are like "okay, you can partner up with someone". Then everyone goes with their friends and Im all alone. That makes me wanna cry :tears:, I don't want to be that person. So, I ask you, what are some tips of making new friends, or similar stories you can share?

2. Sal

Sal Guest

I have the same issues in school. Whenever I'm in a class with no one I consider a friend I always feel awkward and lonely, especially during group work. I rarely ever talk in class and most people just assume I'm mute. The looks on their faces are priceless when I do actually speak. When doing group assignments I ask if I can work alone and most teachers will let me. However when I have to be part of a group I quickly do my portion of the work and let everyone else copy it. If I'm lucky there will be a few other quiet kids in my class and we'll group together in the back and do our work in silence. Though sometimes I get unlucky and the teacher will make me join a group of unruly beasts. In these situations I get saddled with the most work and the others just leech off of the A they know I'll get them.

I have yet to get my schedule and I have a bad feeling that the councilors have thrown me to the sharks this year. I've noticed that as the years go by I have less classes with the people I'm comfortable with. I'm certain that this is all part of some conspiracy. :dry:

3. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im so happy im not the only one in this situation. When you do work with the other quiet kids, do you ever try to become friends with them? Ya, I emailed my counselor if I can change my schedule (To have at least some classes with my friends, but I didn't add that in the message lol), and her exact response was "NO". But ya during a group project I usually do the work to make sure that no one in the group would like destroy my A lol... And If I have someone that is a good speaker, I would make them go and speak

#3 Alphabets, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Sal

Sal Guest

When with the other quiet kids we reach an understanding that for the sake of preserving our sanity we'll group up for those few classes we have together, other than that we don't really associate out side of class. Kind of the down side to grouping up with other loners. On the plus side I'll have a group of people that are pleasant and tolerable with whom I can sit with to feel less out of place.

yeah, Teachers can be a pain when It comes to scheduling. Receiving your schedule can be worse than a report card.

If some one in the group is a better speaker than I, normally everyone is, than I make a deal to do their portion in exchange for them doing all the talking. Public speaking is not my cup of tea.

5. Alphabets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: Ill defiantly know what to do in a few days haha x____x

6. Sal

Sal Guest

I wish you the best of luck with your classes.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Keep your grades up, take some AP/IB classes to have college-level experiences, and apply to a good university. When you get there, you'll meet a lot of people who are just as nerdy and passionate about school as you are.