1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to grandparents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sunshine Cries, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sunshine Cries

What the title said: I want to come out to my grandparents.

My parents have taken my coming out to them well enough. However, my grandparents are a different case: my grandfather, kind as he is, is from the Bible Belt and isn't particularly comfortable with the idea of lgbt people. My grandmother is a full blown, racist, homophobic, judgmental woman whose treatment of me has BLESSED me with the mental abuse label. On top of that, my grandmother is a religious woman from Athens, Greece, who has refused to talk to me for reasons from my pro-choice beliefs to even wearing eyeliner.

However, I feel as though I am essentially lying to both by not informing them of my sexuality, and if I am forced to walk out of their lives if things become too complex, I would want them knowing this (pretty important) part of me. I want them to know if it means getting cut out of the family.

Should I come out to them, and if so, how? I'm just really confused and I need help.

Thanks,

~Sunshine

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember lying and omission are two very different things. If they don't ask and you don't tell them you're not lying to them.

If it's going to cause you problems and they aren't already asking you specifically about your sexuality, why tell them? It may be part of you but it's not part they need to know about until it becomes necessary...and by necessary I mean like a situation where it is completely unavoidable that they will find out, if you got married for example or if they happened to be staying with you for a few months and you couldn't make up excuses for the unexplained girl who kept staying the night.

Make a pros and cons, I'm guessing the cons here are going to be more numerate