1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this is what happened today.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom confronts me about the LGBT college group stuff she found in my bedroom. When I went out to the campus for orientation back in June, one of the places they took us was the office of diversity, and they gave us a big presentation about LGBT issues, and handed out rainbow buttons and LGBT group meeting flyers, and my mom found them.

So today, my mom comes home on her lunch hour like usual, and like she always does when she wants to talk about something, traps me in a bedroom and starts yelling. The first words out of her mouth were,

"Are you gay and have you been sleeping with Brendan?"

I didn't say anything. I asked her why she thought that (even though the answers are "yes," and "yes because we're in love.") and she continued yelling about how she found all this "gay stuff" and because we've been spending so much time together these last few summers. That and my dad found my Costco-sized box of condoms and my bottle of lube.

I just said this:

"I'm going to tell you the same thing you would say to me if I asked you these inappropriate questions about your sex life. It's none of your business, I'm an adult and that's a very private thing that is none of your concern."

With that, I walked out of the room, and she just yelled at me that she'd pray for me. When she left to go back to work an hour later, she said to me this:

"I left $20 on the counter, go to Little Caeser's and get a pizza before we get home."

How'd I do? I think she's getting cut out of my life as well as my dad.

2. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Get the pizza, share it with your boyfriend.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You stood your ground quite well, actually, although I'm sure tensions were running high.

It would be unfortunate if they do get cut out of your life, but I can understand why. It's going to take time for them to accept this, if they ever do.

Now is the time for you and Brendan to build your own network of support, the LGBT group in your school is the place to start, which you have, but don't stop there. Reach out to people who understand, and build together your own circle of friends.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had it waiting when they got home, but I haven't said a word to her since she got home at 5:30, and it's now quarter to 11 here. Mainly, I just spent all evening outside playing with my dogs and in my room watching Rachel Maddow. I'm not ready to talk to her.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You kept your cool.

When you go off to college, since you evidently won't be commuting based on your dorm questions, you'll be further away from them. They'll probably appreciate you more when you're home. I wouldn't cut them out of your life. It just sounds like they've got strong personalities, and always have. College will also keep you intellectually and socially busy. Right now, it's home on the range ... and runs to Little Caesar's, but not for much longer.

Hang on and see if "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How likely do you think it is that you will cut her out of your life completely?

I only ask because if you're planning on leaving home and then not speaking to her, you may as well ask her exactly what she means by "I'll pray for you"! If you're lucky she might reconsider her position, at worst you're not that much worse off..

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seriously hope that her love for you overwhelms any anti-gay sentiments she might have. "I'll pray for you" is highly disconcerting, but maybe eventually God will show her it's alright.

At least you have Brendan; I wish you guys luck. :slight_smile:

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Living 140 miles away will help. Seriously, at this point, I'm thinking I should have gone to San Jose State or somewhere far, far away.

I don't think the whole family thing is ever going to work. When I mentioned to my grandma that my aunts from California are finally going to get married this spring after almost 30 years together and that I'm going out there to be at their wedding, she got really uncomfortable. What would that look like at Christmas if I walked into her condo in front of the whole family holding hands with a blonde boyish-looking guy with a Canadian accent?

And how would that conversation go if we told my parents, "Yeah, we've been in love since we were 16 and so now we're moving to Minnesota to get married."

I think it's too complicated to ever be worked out, and so cutting ties will be easier and less painful/hurtful to everyone involved than to start a civil war on one side of the family over one of their kids being gay.

I wonder what Judge Judy would say about all this...

#8 AwesomGaytheist, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would defs want to watch that episode.

10. blueberrymuffin

It's terrible how religion (since you mentioned prayer) tears families apart over something that, as you put it, is not their business. Having said that, you're moving soon, so you don't need this pressure of 'cutting ties.' Just try to let it go for now and focus on your new life, free from their intrusions. Check back near thanksgiving. Maybe their attitude will change by then. I don't know about the dynamics of your extended family, but usually it's tolerable if at least the parents come around. If not, maybe you won't want to go back.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That being said, my mom wants me to text her 3 times a day and call her every night "just to make sure I'm safe."

I smell BS.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you did a good job "under fire" when your mother confronted you.

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

I think I agree with others about not cutting your mom out completely now. Be prepared for that possibility one day, yes, but do it now, no. Relationship between children and parents changes at about your point in life. The picture could well look different 5 years from now.

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2013 at 08:44 PM ----------

That is ridiculous.

One reason people go to college: to become independent. How does that happen if you are texting 3 times a day?

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

Perhaps the University of Mars?

140 miles should be OK. It's a great enough distance to rule out weekend visits each week. At least under normal circumstances.

#12 BMC77, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  13. blueberrymuffin

In college there's this great excuse for anything you don't want to do: I'm busy.

If you want to get more flippant (and possibly honest), "I was too drunk/hung over, no texting in class, no one else calls their parents *every* day."

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did an amazing job of handling this.

What's missing from what you said is how it actually made you feel. I can imagine that it tore the hell out of you emotionally, even if you sort of expected that response. I know it would me, if I were in your shoes. And I think, assuming that I'm right, that you need to know that you have a whole bunch of people here who have your back and will help you in whatever ways you need it, if you need it.

It sounds like everything is basically together and there aren't any big concerns, but between going off to college and having this big blow-up as that's happening can't make for a happy and stable feeling for you right now. So as far as it goes, I'd say (*hug*) and I can also guess, with a pretty high degree of confidence, that she will eventually be fine with it, even if she's going through all sorts of rage at the moment. Remember the 5 stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) and know that this is what she's dealing with right now, and it's a double whammy because you're going off to school, always an emotional time for a parent, *and* dealing with your being gay.

The best suggestion I can make is to remember to focus your attention on yourself and the positive changes you're making in your life. The rest will come together with time.

15. srslywtf

Ugh, my mum likes to yell too... sounds like it could've gone alot worse.

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THat would take balls the likes of which I've never seen, but given how you handled the situation so far doesn't seem impossible!

I'm of the opinion if you're going to cut out all family you may as well have a solid reason, if that means introducing them to your boyfriend then so be it. If it were me I'd rather never speak to someone again because of something they said or did than something I though would happen!

17. jimL

Yea...just give them time, time heals all wounds. You shot them in the foot and walked away. You did the best thing you could have done by taking complete control of the situation. So don't give up on them, they are just confused at this new and unexpected information. You are and always will be their little boy.

18. Amelie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A lot of parents react angrily when they find out their child might be gay.. It's not ideal and it's hurtful to hear, but at the same time, parents aren't perfect... They are just people. And moreover, they are the people that raised you..However you may feel right now, I'm sure your parents held you when you were a baby, nurtured you as a child and the whole time they will have (consciously/sub-conscioulsy) been dreaming about you growing-up and, in a way, imagining about how you would "turn out" and how your life would be.. Parents tend to do that. So when they find out that you perhaps "not what they expected" or morevoer, that your life would not be what they expected for you, they tend to lose it a little... And they have to go through feelings of denial, anger, grief etc. to get to the acceptance part, just like many people do when they realise they are gay...

I guess what I'm saying is, give them time and a bit of understanding.. You've obviously been coming to terms with your sexuality a lot longer than they have.. acceptance will (hopefully) come with a little time and effort on both sides.

Maybe the order to "go get pizza" was an olive branch of sorts..

All the best

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At first when she trapped me in her own bedroom I was just scared, like to the point where my fingers were shaking like an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in hours. My emotions were all over the place after that, and that's why I didn't write about it until almost 11:00 at night, when that happened about 1 in the afternoon.

After that, I signed off of EC and went to bed and just cried. Now I am not a crier. I don't know why, but I'm just one of those people that doesn't really show negative emotion. But at least I was alone and she didn't hear me. My dad's in Tennessee on a business trip until tomorrow, so thankfully he doesn't know about this.

My mom had been suddenly nice to me today. On her day off, she had me go with her and my brother to Target and a few other places, and she says she's making my favorite dishes for the rest of the week's dinners before I move away.

But then she turned on me. She gave me this huge lecture about how it's not their fault I don't love them, it's just the autism. And the abuse I endured as a child was just all a matter of perception. "It's not us, it's you."

Are you fucking kidding me?

When literally every single one of your siblings can't stand being around my dad, I'd say that's not perception. And are you really going to look me in the eye and tell me that a 9-year-old being forced to have oral sex with a 14-year-old is all a matter of perception? Lady you're as sick as he was!

I think I might go spend the night at my boyfriend's house.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That and now my mom's upset with me because my brother's now all depressed about not having me around the house anymore. So I should just scrap all college plans because he's bitchier than normal?

I'm depressed.