1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addressing an Issue with Bisexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Falklands Sheep, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More than an issue I see this as a curiosity, which keeps on bugging me since I first found out I'm bisexual.

I've been half-out of the closet for a while now. However, those I came out to believe I'm gay. As in, Kinsey 6 gay or in denial. My parents discard the idea of bisexuality, and consider I am 'struggling between blue and pink'.

What? Ain't purple a colour as well?

This is pretty much one of the only few reasons I'm not 'out to everyone'. I don't want to kill all my relationship possibilities with the ladies just for being fond of both genders. It's like stating I don't like waffles just because I like pancakes.

Ergo bollocks.

/rant :tantrum:

So yeh... I was wondering how other bisexuals deal with this issue when showing their true colours.

2. smileaday

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I wouldn't say that i am bi but i would say that i am attracted to girls a little more than occasionally. If i were to come out to someone i would say that i consider myself bisexual and explain what it was to you. My announcing how you identify instead of saying i am interested you can explain that while ladies are great, men are just as great to you. I have a bisexual friend and she is open about it. I understand (and other people) understand shes welcome to both genders. If your parents and your community does not understand try to educate them. I thinks some people will not want to except it but they should understand the term and what it applies. Remember those who mind don't matter but those and those who don't mind matter. <3

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I could think about while reading this is that you're trying to deal with an issue that isn't yours. Yes, you can further educate those around you, especially the ones you care about. However, being LGBT is just something that some people will never understand. And I feel like as long as you're happy with who you are then that's all that matters. I will admit that when I first came out, it was a bisexual and I pressured myself to pick a side, and eventually I did. I've always loved women more than men and I can only picture my life being with a woman.

And if someone doesn't want to date you because you are bisexual then that's their loss. And I think if it were to be an issue for you when it comes to dating women, you could always date bisexual women. However, that's totally up to you. You'd think with the year being 2013, people would be accepting and open minded but unfortunately some people are not. I have a friend who is bisexual and we talk about this sort of thing all the time, so you're definitely not alone. She's had some lesbians reject her because they do not date bisexual women. I'm gay and I care could less, but everyone is entitled to their preferences. Well, that's enough rambling and I hope that helped a bit :slight_smile:

#3 pinklov3ly, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Any woman who wouldn't want to date you because you're bi is not the right woman for you. Same goes for guys (lots of gay men seem to be uncomfortable with the idea of dating a bi guy). Their loss, I say.

5. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you feel the need to define yourself with a word that means nothing when you can define yourself by how you love someone regardless of gender and free of the constraints of stereotypes?

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To some extent, I agree, they're not the right person for you. Count your blessings that you learn that sooner than later.

7. QueerQueen

I've had a similar issue, where I told my friends I was bi (this was years ago) and they instantly starting calling me a lesbian, because all I would talk about is girls and never guys. I also dated a lesbian while I considered myself bisexual and she didn't like it so much, she was scared I was going to end up with a man. We fought about it quite a bit, but it never really affected our relationship. She even cried about it, because she was scared she was going to lose me.

Anyways I only ever labeled myself as bisexual, because I didn't want to be that girl who told everyone I was a lesbian and then went and dated a guy, I wanted to be completely sure, but the whole time I considered myself bi, I always leaned more towards girls. Until I finally realized I was/am a lesbian.. this was all years ago, but that's how it happened.