1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My twin sister refuses to acknowlege that I'm gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hianl, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Hianl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My twin sister is probably the closest person to me in the world. So, it really hurts when she goes around pretending I'm straight. About a year ago I came out to her much earlier than I originally intended to. She cried for a bit, and that really scared me, but she said at the time that she was okay with me being lesbian. Then, ever since that day, every time I try to talk about a relationship or gay issues with her, she just changes the subject or literally says, "Let's not talk about your little issue, okay!" I'm only out to some friends at school and not at all to my parents, so she's one of the only people I could really confide in. Or am I expecting too much of her?

Sorry for the rant.

2. Have you told her what you've told us about how her ignoring the subject makes you feel? Maybe you can sit her down and tell her that it hurts you and you really need her support.

3. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    When she says that, you need to confront her about it and tell her that it's making you feel uncomfortable, and that you're disappointed you thought you could confide in her and that she would be supportive.

4. Data

Data Guest

Identical twin? Maybe it makes her feel strange because identical twins are like the spit and image of each other.

Not identical, I don't know why she would say something like that. I definitely agree, tell her how much her words are hurting you. Maybe she'll divulge more information when you do that.

5. Hianl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I think I'll try and sit down with her and try to work this out. I mean, it's sort of stupid, but I have this nagging fear that she'll freak and out me to my parents, who happen to be VERY conservative Catholics.On the flip side, I can't be afraid of how people are going to react for the rest of my life.

6. sguyc

Wow, she needs to get a clue. If my brothers talked to me like that i would jist completely ignore them until they changed their stupid views.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she was going to freak out on you I think she would have probably done it by now...

If you DO talk to her about it, just make sure to ask her what it is she thinks you're going to say. It might be that she's worried that you're going to ask her something really weird or that she has got the wrong idea of. If she's calling it a little issue, it might be that she's never really thought about it and doesn't know how big a deal it can be!

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should ask her why she knows she is straight...