1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearing Range

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Data, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

So, I know everyone has probably seen something like this at one point or another, but I'm curious what amount of hearing loss everyone has.

So:

I'm 19
    I should hear up to 18Khz or so.
    I actually only hear up to 16Khz. That makes my ears 35 years old.

I blame this on a few things, with the biggest being the fact that I road a motorcycle for 1 year and a few months, both in the city and on the highway at 85mph with an open 3/4 face helmet and no ear plugs. The second factor is that I shoot guns regularly. I have only ever fired a .22 LR without hearing protection, but the decibel reduction of ear muffs can still allow for the sound of a gunshot to do damage to your hearing. I double up at this point with ear plugs in under the ear muffs, but between the ages of 8 and 17 I used only muffs.

Hear is a good page to listen to different frequencies. This is the one I used:

Gamquistu - The Hearing Age Evaluator
    Use headphones or ear buds when you listen to the different frequencies.

I don't know if this belongs here in Chit Chat or if it belongs in Health. I don't consider this scientific or at all serious since data cards will differ and headphones/ear buds will have different frequency responses. It's just kind of a silly topic to talk about.

I'm just curious what other peoples' ages are and what they can hear. If you have life events like I do that have diminished your hearing please list them if you'd like to.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 10:53 PM ----------

Oh my, I put this in the wrong area. I'm exhausted and I'm making mistakes! How embarrassing! Well, I guess it's up to the mod who will move this whether or not it's a Health topic or a Chit Chat topic. So sorry for misplacing this.

2. srslywtf

I'm about 10% deafer in my left ear than my right, due to that being my mixing ear when I was a DJ..

Haven't tested my range, I'm sure its somewhat diminished.

3. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Who cares?
    Do you really ever need to hear all that?

Honestly, my ears are the same way, but i dont really care. There are far too many variables in genes, environment, (loud mouth politicians) that make that scale irrelevant.

Besides, if you ever lose your hearing, there are so many (scary) cool ways you can get it back through modern medicine.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I barely came in at my rough age (14 K).