1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to handle stress?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm honestly so stressed out right now that I'm pretty sure that I'm about to snap...

School starts Monday and for Summer Work I have an entire book to read and write a five-page essay for, certain chapters and writing prompts for another book in the same class (World Cultures), two books (The Great Gatsby and The Crucible) and a study guide for English, as well as contact my Latin teacher so that I can get my Independent Latin class worked out.

I'm freaking out right now. I had been on par with my friend Matt who was in the same boat as me regarding the World Cultures work but just the other day he finished his book and started his essay, read both books for English and did the study guide now the only thing he doesn't have are the prompts.

I have work tomorrow and Saturday (mornings only) and would love to be finished with everything before 9 on Sunday night but I'm failing to see how that would be humanly possible...help?!

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deep breathing, warm baths, soothing music, drinking warm, nonalcoholic or decaffeinated beverages, and plenty of sleep and excercise can help reduce stress. Hope some of this helps :slight_smile:
    About the schoolwork part, make sure to take breaks while finishing it all. Doing a lot of bookwork and homework in one sitting can cause a lot of stress as well. If you listen to music while doing homework, instrumental music works the best.

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would you define Imagine Dragons as soothing, instrumental music? haha

I have been taking breaks. Watching Digimon, Degrassi, playing on my iPad, checking my laptop, normal stuff, but then when I go back I get nowhere and that's where I start to stress and worry. I just wish there was some possible way other than cheating that would allow me to get all of this done.

P.S. I love your avie, but a MegaLucario on an LGBT background would look more epic.

4. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of hard to teach or advice someone on stress as every body reacts differently to certain situations. One person may be like 'OMFG What am I going to do.' and another person in the same situation may be like 'Oh well, it is what is is.'...and then there is a million degrees in between.

Reducing stress is really a matter of removing the stresst or removing yourself from the stressful situation. There are certain things that we can avoid all together, but there are other things...like exams for example....that you can take a step back (Hot bath, swim, walk, gym workout.) and remove yourself temporarily from and then get back to that task with a relax state of mind and a more decisive action plan hatch during your calm moments.

If you are a big stresser, stay right away from energy drinks, coffee, tea, actually anything with caffeine, taurine, guarana or sugar as they will only heighten anxiety and stress. Snack on fruit and vegetable (Raw cauliflower, peas, corn on the cob, celery sticks with peanut butter) and drink room temperature water could also help with stress :wink:

good luck.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm more on the extreme of 'OMFG what am I going to do?!' Because I have three days left to get it all done and I've now decided to skip my WC book and write my essay.

Do you guys have any advice on getting through books quickly or have any experience with The Great Gatsby or The Crucible?

6. blueberrymuffin

So you had the whole summer for this? Well this is a good way to learn to cut corners. Crucible doesn't qualify as a book and is pretty damn inaccurate historically. If you've seen the movie, it's close enough. Great Gatsby, if all you need is to discuss it or short writing, just look at sparknotes or something. Scan reading it just an acquired, but necessary skill. A 300 page book in a day or writing a page per hour is very doable.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my defense, I only had all summer for the World Cultures. Our English teachers tell us every year that it's a bad idea to read your books before August because we get tested on them.

And I know 300 pages in a day is doable, especially for me, but I can only do it if it is somewhat interesting and trust me...geopolitical powers in Asia and the Indian Ocean are not thr slightest bit interesting.

8. monotone

I thought The Great Gatsby was pretty easy to get through.

It was one of the texts for my A-level.

9. blueberrymuffin

Well, you'll need to in the future do what you think is best, not what the teachers say. You can read a book anytime and just jot down important details/thoughts (and page number), then refer back to that near the test, paper, or group discussion. You don't want to be in this position of being overwhelmed again.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try zazen (seated) meditation. It has really helped me become a less stressed out person, which is something coming from a guy who is constantly thinking and overthinking everything he has done, is doing, and needs to do in the future.