1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get over him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JamesDE, Aug 22, 2013.

1. JamesDE

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Note: Sorry for the long read, I had a lot to get off my chest.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

So about three weeks ago I posted a classic "In love with my best friend" thread. I know probably no one will remember it because theres thousands of them.
    If you want to read it, it's here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/103860-does-he-like-me.html
    Anyway, since he kissed me on the cheek not much has happened between us and he hasn't done anything near as intimate as that. He has been flirting with other guys though and being very touchy-feely with them, he hasn't shown any particular interest in me. The day after though, one of my (girl)friends asked if I thought he was gay, I just told her that it's for him decide and can't pressure him, she said she didn't care if he was. Makes me wonder though, if she gets that, then what do people think of me? :S

Now for the actual point of the thread, I've decided that it's no good to keep hoping for him to make some move, I've decided it's not good for me. Before the kiss I didn't even want to consider anyone liking me in that way. But now that he's lead me on I can't stop thinking about him and it tears me apart inside. He's known to mess around the girls he goes out with, even to the extent where he got his girlfriend to send him sexual pictures, which he then showed to all his friends at school. He talks to a lot of people through text and FB but doesn't join group chats because he said he prefers to talk to people one-on-one. He wanted to meet up with a girl a week ago but he didn't go in the end because he was worried what she might think of him (info I got through friends of the girl).

He's so cute and funny and I love the way he smiles mischieviously as if he is up to something all the time, but I want him out of my head. I go to bed and I fall asleep thinking about him and it's become too unhealthy. Don't I have enough problems to deal with already without him fucking with my head? I just want to get over him and move on with my life because all he is doing is causing me pain.

2. ryanalexander61

I feel for ya bud, I do.

There are really two ways to get over someone: not being in contact with them or finding someone else. However, at your age both of these scenarios can be hard to deal with or go about. I am sure this person is in your circle of friends and like I said at that age it can be very hard to make a new group of friends and potentially a new mate.

In addition, I am sure you can't easily just can't easily cut him out of your life. The best advice I can give is to find things to occupy your mind: work out, take up a hobby, join clubs, sports, volunteer, etc. Whatever you can do to distract your mind for the time being, and focus on improving yourself.

The first step to get over someone is acceptance. It seems you are about there. Your brain needs to subtly accept the fact that you won't be in the desired relationship with this person. To fix that, really is just a matter of time. I know it is hard but try to convince yourself that, "hey this is a friend, just a friend and that is all that it will ever be." It is VERY hard, I know I am right there with you.

I am sorry I don't have any sort of concrete advice or a magic pill to give you, but you are young and things will work out. Hang in there.

Best of luck,

3. Ritor365

Oh, this sounds like an icky situation :/ I don't have too much to say, but remember; everyone has their flaws. Try focusing purely on those, and even try to exaggerate them in your head. That should help, I know it does for me lol.

4. JamesDE

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the support and advice guys, I really appreciate it. It still bugs me how people think it's all right to just lead people on like that though, I mean, he kissed me on the cheek for christ sake. It annoys me because before that I didn't even consider him.

5. ryanalexander61

I am sorry if I missed this, does he know you are gay?

Leading someone on is a crappy thing to do. But there are two scenarios that can play out: he is straight and maybe likes the attention, which kind of makes him a crappy friend. Second, he might be gay or deeply in denial in which case there is nothing you can do because he hasn't accepted himself.

If he is 14 like you, he is probably too young to have figured anything out and is just messing around.